Sunday, May 14, 2017

One, two, three, and four



He could hear the music and feel it.  His grandmother’s touch, ringing pure and precise, echoed around this empty room.  Her words were there, reminding him “Fingering!  Tempo!  Correct…sit up tall…”

The music played in his mind, while the fingers moved, waiting for her older hand to join with his: Two generations performing music written centuries before. 



Apologies for the voice over in this Synchrony Financial commercial


"Any changes?...No, still the same...It was just a fall!  A simple fall...I saw it happen, so quickly...What does the doctor say?...Time, just time...But his fingers, see how they move!...


Timing, have to remember the timing.  Grandmother insists on perfect timing.

Oh, why are they talking during this recital?  Don't they know how rude that is?

One, two, three, and four...


"Will he come out of this...sleep...this coma?"  I don't know.  Like he said, it is a matter of timing and time...

Sometimes I've observed pianist at a recital while sitting in the audience, playing the notes silently in the lap.

This is a re-post of  October 1, 2014.

20 comments:

  1. Muscle memory is an incredible thing - full of so many more emotions than are generally discussed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I injured rt. elbow tendons 1998, my muscles still pull my arm close to my body when I am hurt in other ways.

      Delete
  2. Is this fiction? I wish my muscles had more memory. The only thing my fingers do best is turn the pages of a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is fiction. The commercial with two hands playing brought it about.

      Delete
  3. Muscles recalling all is an amazing thing indeed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is!! Even after decades, muscles remember.

      Delete
  4. Even in my dad's last days of confusion, he could still remember and sing, "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling". Some things remain with us always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father's cousin, who is 93 and with Alzheimer's, can still an old hymn, harmonizing with her offspring.

      Delete
  5. Muscle recall is a powerful thing. I've heard stories though I've never seen it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chances you have but didn't realize it at the time.

      Delete
  6. Those who appear to be in a coma could really be existing on another plane of existence....or in this case, a piano.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where they are or could be when in a coma amazes me.

      Delete
  7. This made me think of a movie that I watched just this past week and now I can't remember what the movie was. I kind of wish I had taken piano lessons when I was a kid. We never had a piano in our house so practicing would have been a problem.

    Doggone it! What was that movie I'm trying to remember?


    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you remember the movie, let us all know!!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Yes, melancholy, but also there is hope.

      Delete
  9. That sounds like quite the coma dream.

    ReplyDelete
  10. At least he has a link to his memories. I wonder what will he will find when he awakens.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It just goes to show, none of us really have control in this life. We need to make the best of each day and focus on the things that matter most, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned that very thing recently!! On a Christmas Day, I fell down stairs and was knocked out. Concussions are serious business. God provided for me, always has.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!