Monday, April 10, 2017

Never give up, never surrender

If there is no struggle there is no progress Picture Quote #1
source
She had fought for this plant as if it were her own newborn baby.  Fought hard for it, carried it from one house to another, before She could finally settle it into a richer soil, a larger pot.

Even then she had to struggle to protect it, to nourish it in order to keep it alive.  Cold winter intended to blast it with frigid air.  Night temperatures whispered frosty words to it. 

Desert sun blasted and glared down upon it.  Green leaves began to curl and dry, and might have been converted from living plant to brittle sticks. 

But she spread her mother’s wings over this plant, spreading mother’s feathers to shelter it.  Soil welcomed and suckled water.

Please excuse this blown-out description of my struggles. It is pretty corny. No, it is totally corny. Writing in 3rd person allowed me to do that. The post title is a bit deceptive, I admit.

 
Well, this is my lilac bush as the topic of this post.  It may not seem at all vital or even interesting to you, who are thinking “Who wants to hear about a stupid plant and this lady?  Why am I reading this, anyway?”



My lilac bush has been struggling for two and a half years, as I have been with and for it.  The “Why?” is that in my teen years on my father’s farm, an immense lilac bush grew just beneath my 2nd floor window.  

In those April and May times, clusters of lilacs covered it, purple clusters like grapes on a vine. I cannot begin to describe that scent.

So here I am, battling the elements. Desert heat? 112 degrees. Winter frost? 28 degrees. Protecting my little lilac is one big ballet just for a few clusters.


 So, that is why I have been a warrior for this plant, with hope in my heart that purple clusters would appear this year and I can inhale that memory.

I can only hope and pray.

Have you ever felt so strongly about something that you have faced down elements and enemies to protect it?
Are you a plant person who has hovered over green anxiously?
What about some project that requires constant attention?
This could be a long list of questions.

24 comments:

  1. I understand. It means something to you. Keep up the good fight. I'm rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I most certainly understand. When I moved in this house 14 years ago, I took clippings and whole plants that were given you me by loved ones over the years. They are not just plants, they are my memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. They are a tie to what came before.

      Delete
  3. People connect with plants on an emotional level and treat them like they're alive sometimes, lol but seriously while I have been tickled with laughter over the subject plants are sensitive and need humans just as much as we need them. Keep believing in your friend Susan and Watch Galaxy Quest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can recite the dialogue of Galaxy Quest as we watch it. Why was there never a 2nd?

      Delete
  4. Of course. I have wept bitter tears when I have failed too. Some plants are symbols of sooooooo much more.
    Good luck with your lilac. I really, really hope that this is the year it blooms bounteously for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If blood, sweat, and tears will do the trick!

      Delete
  5. I hope your lilac thrives to give you the blooms you need. do you have any type of protection for it? Shadecloth for the summer sun which will also keep off the winter frost?
    I've struggled with plants, but never so much as you have. I'm more of a quitter. If it dies, it dies and I'll buy something different, more likely to cope better with the soil I've got.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shadecloth is on our list to buy! We also have "amended" the soil, which is hard as rock soil.

      Delete
  6. I think we all may have our more favourite plants and get upset if they do not do so well, do not thrive.

    I do hope your lilac does give you those glorious blooms as only a lilac bush can ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If this happens, photos will follow.

      Delete
  7. If it is worth it to you then keep on fighting indeed. We all have something that spurs us on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am definitely NOT a plan person or gardener of ANY description yet I have fought the same battle for the pussy willow bushes in my back yard. Protected them agains mouse nibbles, crdinged for them after rabbit attacks and supervised every year their cutting back and shaping...why? because they were grown from slips from my parents pussy willow tree.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, plants can have a long heritage - my mum cares for plants taken as cuttings from her childhood home or old friends long since gone - every year she waits nervously for them to struggle up again. I know I will inherit some of these and their stories and I only hope I can protect them as she has done! Well done to you, Susan in your nurturing of the little lilac bush :) Thanks for visiting me on the A-Z Challenge too - Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I see your name, I always visit! When the lilac produces lilac gems, a photo will be posted.

      Delete
  10. My mom's favorite is the lilac. There was a huge Lilac bush beside the shoe store and we'd often walk past it on evening walks. It always smelled so delicious!!! Wishing you luck with your plant, that pay off is worth the protection and love, and then some. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you know lilac scent in the air!!

      Delete
  11. I can certainly understand your struggle with the plant. I too, had a lilac plant I had tried to save, but I lost that battle. Kudos to you for keeping yours alive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you can find a lilac needing a home, at Armstrong's nursery? You, too, can win this battle!!

      Delete
  12. I found this post beautiful and provocative as it brought to my mind so many many times I was in this very same situation, with everything from yes a plant, to a birdbath made out of an upside down wok, to a manuscript, to a fledgling little company, to a newborn baby. So much truth in these words, Susan, and thank you for sharing your experience. I do hope your lilac bush rewards you ten fold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These battles extend to all those struggles. I have also found this in my writing. Either giving up and pushing the delete button or think things through.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!