Thursday, March 2, 2017

Howdy, pilgrim

Sourc 

Remembering old westerns from my childhood, no actor can stand above John Wayne.

I did not come on to this epiphany until the past few years.  Modern movies and shows have numbed me to the point that watching such is a chore. 

Who cares about another car chase?  Who cares about another automatic gun fight where blood sprays and viewers do not really care about the outcome?

That was when I stopped by Turner Classic Movie channel.  Oh, sure, I have been there before, but now I went with a different eye. 

Now-deceased stars were prepped and presented by those who held their contracts. Photo ops showed them in best light, with smiles.   The studios kept a tight rein on their extracurricular activities.  Then, we saw these celebrities only as we were supposed to see them.


John Wayne: no perfect man or star.  But he was genuine. He could really ride a horse, could really shoot a gun accurately, and he was the good guy.   


John Wayne was as we saw him, warts and all.  

Many can and will criticize him for his political and personal views, but none can deny that John Wayne loved this country, was a patriot, and John Wayne lived a life of honesty and strong beliefs.

Oh, how I miss him.



27 comments:

  1. Actors like that are rare now.
    For that matter, so are Westerns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always loved westerns (still do) but my favorite John Wayne movie is The Quiet Man". Now, that was a sexy movie without the graphic sex that is shown in today's films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, Quiet Man is a must see on St. Paddy's Day! I agree--sex sizzled quietly, between lines.

      Delete
  3. WE grew up on a steady diet of westerns You couldn't pay me to watch one now lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't beat a good old western!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. What is objectionable is the treatment of Indians as they were called. They were always attacking, perceived as a threat. One of the best John Wayne movies is "The Searchers".

      Delete
  5. Actors are all prissy "look at me" types these days. And yeah, such scene like car chases are a dime a dozen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we watch some detective like show--Hawaii 50--We can predict when the car chase will begin.

      Delete
  6. I am not a movie watcher. Old or new. Movies of much loved books do not match the pictures in my head...
    And sigh on the cult of celebrity which inundates us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not my kind of guy, but he sure was good at what he did and he did love this country. I only watch the cheapest TV package, so I don't get TCM, but I have enjoyed buying some of the 4-movie packs of TCM classic movies from Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You live in prime ranch country, just made for shooting movies. Makes me wonder what it was like 150 years ago.

      Delete
  8. I love Turner Classic Movies. Haven't turned it on in ages, sadly. I should do that again. I was never very into westerns, though. I'm more of a musicals and comedies gal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved watching musicals then and now. With Westerns.

      Delete
  9. John Wayne is a favourite here too, I have several of his movies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once played a drinking game while watching Who Shot Liberty Valance? You had to take a drink every time Wayne said "pilgrim" - rough night...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny! First time I saw it was in college. We had bought a bottle of Cold Duck, watched movie, etc. Threw up later when we finished the bottle.

      Delete
    2. Ha! Must be something about the movie that inspires that line of thinking.

      Delete
  11. He was pretty great. Lovely post!

    http://lucyandtherunaways.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! John Wayne will always be a legend.

      Delete
  12. We grew up on John Wayne too.
    I didn't agree with all his ideology but I loved his movies and always enjoyed watching him. He was a very intelligent man.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I certainly grew up in the John Wayne era but I never knew much about him or ever gave him any notice. I'm really in the dark about him. But thanks for opening the door a crack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping we can find a few dvds we have (some items have been tossed around during our move.)

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!