Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Special Occasions

Image result for thanksgiving dinner
Source
My Aunt Vada is one of the most precious people in the world.  She has always been my ‘crazy’ aunt—the one who goes places, tells stories well, listens to me, and communicates with others.  Aunt Vada sends me the funniest stories, some of them not repeatable to anyone other than my close family.  

I think this story would be fine.
  
                                              The Good Napkins

My mother taught me to read when I was about four years old, thrilling all who heard me. One day, I was in the bathroom and noticed one of the cabinet doors was ajar.  I read the box in the cabinet. 

I then asked my mother why she was keeping ‘napkins’ in the bathroom.  “Don’t they belong in the kitchen?” 

Not wanting to burden me with unnecessary facts, she told me that those were for ‘special occasions’.

Time passes, memories remain…it’s Christmas Day, and my folks were leaving to pick up my uncle and his wife for dinner.  Mom had assignments for all of us while they were gone.  Mine was to set the table.

When they returned, my uncle came in first, and immediately burst into laughter.  Next came his wife who gasped, then began giggling.  Next came my father, who roared with laughter.  

Then came Mom, who almost died of embarrassment when she saw each place setting on the table with a ‘special occasion’ Kotex napkin at each plate, with the fork carefully arranged on top.  I had even tucked the little tail in so they didn’t hang off the edge!!

My mom asked me whyI used these and, of course, my response sent the other adults into further fits of laughter.  “But, Mom, you said they were for special occasions!!”

Aunt Vada’s friend added, “life is too short for drama and petty things…so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly, forgive quickly, and for heaven’s sake, use the good napkins whenever you can.”


Happy Thanksgiving to all! Eat well and eat wisely.

Won't see you all until December 12, will be posting past (historic!) posts until after New Year.  So much to enjoy, so much to give praise to God! Christ Jesus is born! Salvation is ours!

19 comments:

  1. lmao well it was a special occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for Aunt Vada, and a wonderful Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've all got one of those 'napkin' stories we could tell. You told yours so well. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Also to you! This is the first T-Giving we have without Mom. But we will pray, giving praise to God for our time with her.

      Delete
  5. I'm guessing right after that you had "the talk"? Not the full talk, but a 'special occasions' version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This wasn't me, sadly, I wish it had been.

      We had "The Talk" when I was 9. Never had the "Big Talk", ever.

      Delete
  6. I'm surprised you're willing to repeat that story. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Susan - what a wonderful story line ... and yes today we can share these sorts of stories ... couldn't have done a few decades ago ... so funny! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We couldn't even say "ovary" when men were present.

      Delete
  8. Have a marvelous T-Giving! Here the temp. will be 81 deg. In Chicago and Midwest, the temp. will hover around 39 to 41. Snow in the next few days. Send me a snowball, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is hilarious! Probably only to those of us who didn't own the "napkins", though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, those napkins! In our rural store, the boxes were in brown grocery bags to avoid any embarrassment or questions.

      Delete
  10. What a fun story, cleverly told. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you enjoyed it. Glad those days are over.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!