Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Post-Apocalyptic Information as seen by my son


My son, John, with my daughter Mary, and Benjamin in Switzerland



Finding another box to unpack has become routine in this house; then there is a moment of discovery and/or disappointment.  With big sighs or sadness, the box is either unpacked or closed up to be pitched out.  When will  this stop, I ask.  When. Will. This. Stop?

“Ah-Ah.”

This was one of the many strange boxes, hidden in garage rafters, where dust and mites had settled.  Movers followed blind orders and brought this one to here. On the lid were words written in our son’s peculiar handwriting, with his peculiar humor.

“If Zombies or commies or red Chinese attack or Christmas 2013: Break the seals and open.  Open and prepare your body for Thunderdome (That is probably the new law).”

I did open the lid, but all the warnings did not come to fruition. Written upside down (for the unfortunate opener) were directions:

(on one side) “These are for laundry, toruniquets, and needless hangings” with an arrow pointing down.

(next side) “Done cleaning? Make your broom do double duty to kill zombies.” Arrow pointing down.

(Last side) “ Instrumental video

Strangely, contents of the box were missing only the broom, but included two binoculars.  But it did include some awesome knives, which were apparently a present for his father that Christmas.  The method of presentation was clever. 

Our son has grown on to a successful life and career, but has maintained his peculiar sense of humor.



John Kane's Profile Photo
My son with his fiance' Arlette

John (5), Mary (3), Erin (9) in 1984


If I find more photos, I will flood the zone called "Oh, how precious they were and are now!"

16 comments:

  1. Oh, to be the baby. Mary is just wonderful in that picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Benjamin is a delight! He was 2 1/2 then, and now he is 4 1/2, going to Kindergarter first year.

      Delete
  2. Did you send him pictures. He would have gotten a good chuckle out of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I go through the boxes, and I mean decades of photos, I come across those type photos. I am pulling them out, for their Christmas gifts.

      Delete
  3. haha was ready for it all, hopefully brooms are lying handy just in case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He and my husband have a sword or two lying around.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I'll do that after the wedding in November.

      Delete
  5. You have beautiful children! And wonderful memories :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All three of our children have that peculiar sense of humor. When they are together, it is like a secret language of metaphors.

      Delete
  6. Opening up boxes from the past can be fun. I am still opening my basement boxes (been in house 14 years) and one box can entertain me for hours.

    You have a beautiful family, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know what you mean--I hold each item and it drags up a memory.

      Delete
  7. These kinds of things are what makes sorting through old possessions so very difficult. How can a mother toss such a thing! When I disposed of the contents of our big home three years ago, I boxed up the kids' personal history items and returned them to each one. Let them decide what to keep and what not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were several boxes from Mary and John, up in the rafter. Erin collected her stuff when she married. All had interesting contents.

      Delete
  8. That is a cute picture of the three of them. And hurrah for a colorful sense of humor. :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!