Friday, September 16, 2016

Darkest Hour...

plat2
Ode to a Platitude
Karen growled and muttered an assortment of foul words in her car, driving over speed limit.  Her visit to Mom and Grandma did not provide the affirmation and comfort she had hoped it would.

Bill had packed up his stuff in the night and was gone before she woke up.  Note:  I’m outta here, bitch…and the last word was written in bold letters. Now, Karen needed to share her pain.

They were all in Mom’s kitchen, sipping on peach herbal tea.  Mom was kneading bread, taking loaf after loaf from the oven.  These would go to the homeless shelter.  Grandma was sitting quietly while knitting baby blankets for preemies at the local hospital.

Karen was trying tell of her woes and ask for advice when the litany began.

“You know, honey, the darkest hour is just before the dawn. You’ll do fine.” This one came from Mom.

Such is life,” Grandma added. “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger!” She dropped a stitch, but caught it time.

Karen turned from one face to the other, listening with disbelief.

“Yes, sweetie. God has a plan for you…you just don’t know it yet!...and then…It is what it isTime heals all wounds…Life doesn’t give you things you can’t handle…It could be worse…It wasn’t meant to be…There are plenty more fish in the sea…Everything happens for a reason..

When Karen’s grandma said “If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen”…


Karen leaped to her feet and raced to her car.  She skidded out the driveway, narrowly missed the mailbox.  This found her flying along the freeway with profanity tailing after her.  Her thoughts were not kind.  If she ever heard one more mindless platitude, she would vomit.




'I eliminated all the platitudes and cliche statements, from your mission statement, and I'm left with this blank sheet of paper.'
Source

The italicized and underlined words about are from Wednesday Words, where bloggers can play freely and experiment with the words or prompt. This week's prompts are provided by Margaret Adamson and her friend Sue Blucher.

These words or prompts may be found on Elephant's Child. Go check her site and see how others have run with this idea.

Many thanks to Delores, who created this idea.

21 comments:

  1. lol those platitudes can sure annoy indeed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh. Most of us have heard them tooooo often. I do try very hard not to use them. I suspect like Karen my temptation would have been to turn the air blue. At least the air inside my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had that editing filter in the past, I do not know that I have it anymore.

      Delete
  3. You hear them everywhere and they bring absolutely no comfort whatsoever. Great job with the prompt Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Delores. This was a story begging to be formed.

      Delete
  4. Poor Karen. Platitudes are no substitute for sympathy and real conversation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When one sits down and truly listens, these platitudes wouldn't be used.

      Delete
  5. The platitudes are true, but not at all helpful when the worst happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When one is in emotional pain, platitudes are insulting.

      Delete
  6. I may be in the minority here, I don't find the platitudes annoying. I know people mean no harm with them. The 'stitich in time' made me laugh. I haven't heard that one for awhile. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, people use them when there are no other words in their heads. These seem safe.

      Delete
  7. Sometimes the best thing you can do for someone in pain is to just shut up and listen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the absolutely best thing to do.

      Delete
  8. Good observations. I suppose platitudes are often meant well by the ones who say them, but they don't always provide the solace desired by the one on the receiving end.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Platitudes meet that one phrase the giver come come up with in a quick moment.

      Delete
  9. I can remember (from years ago) coming close to having a full-blown nervous breakdown after two brand-new chainsaws seized up on me one week. When I told a deacon about it at my mom's church, he told me that it could be worse. No, I did not handle that well at all. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I LOVE this! It's so true! I know people mean well but those things NEVER do any good. I remember when my dad died, I told a friend that if anyone came up to me with some worthless platitude I was going to sock 'em! Thankfully, no one did. I probably would have! That would have made Dad proud :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I would have been close to doing such.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!