Monday, August 29, 2016

About vacations

This is a re-post from August 2011.  It seemed appropriate as we prepare to visit family in Illinois.

In years past, we have taken big trips.  I don’t know why we feel we have to take a big trip, but back then we must have seen big trips were a rite of passage.  We visited our daughter and husband in Switzerland in 2007.  We went on a jaunt to Utah in 2008.  We went to Hawaii in 2009.  In 2010, I made numerous small trips to Illinois to visit my dying mother.  In April 2011, we made a final trip to Illinois.

All but the 2010 trip involved many suitcases, copious planning, mail put on hold, newspaper redirection, instructions for plant watering, and many snippy- tight lipped words to each other about not forgetting things (well, mostly from me).

“Why do we do this?”  We asked ourselves just a few weeks ago.  So we did a ‘mini-trip.’ And here are the results.
Watching a movie with Sunshine and Bright Eyes

Swimming with grandkids and their friends

My own personal 'Bear in the Forest"

Our Cabin at Woodlandpark Manor in Idyllwild, CA

Alpine strawberries--incredibly sweet

Holly berries?

The new totem pole in down town Idyllwild, Ca

Tahquitz Rock in Idyllwild, CA


Flowers are everywhere in Idyllwild, CA

To check out this awesome mountain town, click on Idyllwild, California 


Now, I ask you, which is the best thing to do:  take a big trip, or just take a trip? 

13 comments:

  1. I've taken a few big trips. Mostly, my traveling was done in my 20s and 30s. Got to see lots of the US. Would you call going home to the Virgin Islands every year or so a big trip? I know exactly what to pack... and plans are simple, no hotels needed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great that you had a wonderful trip. I too love to go for vacations and enjoy the day. that makes me feel happy and relaxed with my daily works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just taking a trip can sometimes be way better and less hassle too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the hassle of getting getting on a plane, the lines, the waiting, missing connections and those tiny seats have kept me home this year. If it is not in a reasonable driving distance, I have no desire to go. However, there are lovely things to see that are close to home, so my traveling days are not really over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A big trip is good every now and then, but you can take a lot more shorter trips and be much more refreshed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Safe travels......all trips are exciting (except the one that preceeds a fall of course).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorely in need of a trip, and I hope it's soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't gone away since 2004. Have fun, and travel safely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like any kind of trip. Having spent much of my life traveling, I'm accustomed to the preparation and the trip itself. It's become a bit of routine for us out of our necessity of travel.

    Idyllwild is a place with which I'm not familiar. It sounds like a nice place to visit. I'll have to read about it (but don't know if I'd be going there because of the other trips I have to take).

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think little trips are nice more frequently, but it's good to get out and about on a big trip once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just a trip more often is a good option but a big trip at least once would be good too. Something big to talk about. a remember when moment...

    ReplyDelete
  12. We do big trips every few years, but the little trips are fun and less stressful. We go up to Estes Park for a night, maybe two, hit the lake and Rocky Mountain National Park. So much cheaper than going on a real trip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Big or small, I like them all!! Tell me if you would, is Hawaii all they say and more? That's one I'd love to take. :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!