Monday, July 11, 2016

New Kids on the Block

A photo of our current house, I found it on Google.  On Google! Is nothing private anymore?? We have since trimmed back the roses and honeysuckle, as well as the sweet jasmine since this photo was taken. Grass is brown--water shortage.
When my son-in-law Brian (he is a loving gift to our daughter, girls, and to both sets of grandparents) selected real estate for our possible new home, we had no expectations.  None at all.

The first house could be, but it was not. Every room screamed "1990" with its mauve and cornflower blue. The garden was big with many projects that were incomplete or overgrown--just what we wanted to escape.

The second house, oh the second house.  It was perfect in every way except the closets were not large. The square feet were about the same as our existing house, but one bedroom gone, dining room/kitchen/family room had no divisions.  It was wonderful.

But the best thing of all was the back patio. No gardening to do except for our own potted lilacs and succulents on the patio!  The most amazing of all: a view!

Trees!
We could look over eucalyptus trees on the left, golf course on the right, over to the city where evening lights would twinkle, across to hills. Not in single person's back yard!

For years, we have been facing our neighbors' fences on three sides with our street on the fourth.  Every conversation said around their pools or back yards, we could hear and wish we couldn't.

Brian took us around to three other houses, but I was blind to them, except one which had a superb closet. "Let's go back to that house..."!

It was as I recalled it to be.  This house is that I wanted, and my husband did by extension.  It was wise for him to like it as well.

Brian brought my daughter Erin and the girls to see this marvelous home, with the oldest (who is nearly twelve, old beyond her years, wise and with a good eye for art and balance) gave it her approval.  She did notice the closets were very small.

The final test was to visit The Club House, where all the action was.  Library, exercise room, club rooms, rooms for every thing. A swimming pool with a sauna was available.

streets twist and turn, in a California Community for 55+
It had it all.  But as we left, we looked at the card room where four women were having a drag out, down and dirty bridge game.  All were old, white haired, a little stooped.  One waved at us with an arthritic hand.  "Hello, dearies"...and smiled at the girls.

Erin looked at me with wide blue eyes. "Mom, you guys will be the youngest old people here!"

Somehow that does not sound so bad.  It has been years since we have been the youngest anywhere. Maybe some old lady will hit on my husband, while some old geezer will put moves on me.

Oh, yes.  We are buying that house, and moving in 27 days.

We are in no way loaded with money.  John's mother (I called her Mom, too) left each of her children money in a trust fund, which has allowed us to move.


25 comments:

  1. Being the youngest sounds good to me.
    That is an amazing view. Bummer about the closets, but you can always buy shelves and wardrobes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have some to install when we finally are there. At this point, we are throwing so much junk away that we may have only a few shirts and jeans to hang up.

      Delete
  2. Most excellent view! So what if the closets are small. As we get older downsizing isn't a bad thing at all. Small closets will help in that department.

    Good moving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your current house looks very pretty, but when it's time to go, then go you must. I hope the new smaller closets aren't too much trouble. Perhaps you could convert a small bedroom into a walk-in closet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our current house is made for a family with kids. the street is perfect for riding bikes, parks nearby...it is time to hand the keys over.

      Delete
  4. A nice view indeed. Small closets can be overcome. The youngest isn't bad either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will live looking out from the patio.

      Delete
  5. My sister and her husband moved to a 55+ community in the Shenandoah Valley after years in the DC suburbs. They LOVE it. They have such an active social life there - lots of things like gourmet group, bridge, poker (BIL), line dancing (sis only). My favorite group of hers is the CAC - Cocktail Appreciate Club.

    It's a lot of work to move, but such fun to be in a new place! And lovely view, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the end of August comes and a few boxes are unpacked, I will sigh and smile.

      Delete
  6. Appreciation (should have been.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds lovely! I hope the new home will bring you a lot of joy. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being the youngest again sounds good. I hope the move goes as smoothly and serenely as possible.
    I don't know whether it is just me, but I found that the colours to your new background made a lot of this post hard to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry! I figured how to re-work this page and increase the font! Hope it is easier to read for you and others.

      Delete
  9. All the very best for your move...I'm sure you're going to love your new surrounds.

    I love not having any nearby neighbours; and I've lived this way for so long now I'd find it very difficult to adjust to hearing voices from the other side of a fence etc.

    All the best, Susan. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up on a farm, and only sounds were live stock at night. Later we lived on a 20 acre wooded forest. Sooo looking forward to this new house.

      Delete
  10. Moving sucks, but it sounds like you've found a nice place to go to. It'll be nice to be on the younger side again, won't it? Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since we are in mid 60s and those ladies were clearly hitting 80, we will truly be kids around them. At least that is what it appears. We might tower over the 55+.

      Delete
  11. Can't wait for the pictures of your new place! The view is amazing! I'd like to be the young kid on the block again. Or once. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a wall of packed boxes, neatly labeled. Being a young kid will be a unique experience.

      Delete
  12. Came in from Drifting though life. There always plenty to do around the home.
    Still want to plant to trees around the place.
    If you have time stop in for a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll pop over right now. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  13. What a wonderful home. I like the part about no extra work too.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!