Monday, April 18, 2016

The Grove, a re-post from 2012





“These trees are old, really old, Aunt Celia!” Buddy whispered to the elderly lady holding his sweet hand.  “They’s older than you, even!”  He skipped to a hidden tune.

“Yes, little boy, I know they are old,” she mused, smiled down at the intense face.  “They were old when I was your age.”

His surprised face turned to laughter as he pictured this old woman skipping.  “Then you know all about the ‘sterious dis’pear’nce of Miss Cassandra!”

“Yes, my dear Buddy, but you tell me all about it, will you?”

Buddy flew into the story of the missing Cassandra, a story handed down to each generation.  Celia hid her chuckles as Buddy threw pirates and ghosts into the simple recounting of a young lady on the eve of her wedding and her “’sterious dis’pear’nce”.  “You reckon Miss Cassandra’ll ever be found?”

When Buddy finished the grand story, both were exhausted.  “Come, little man, let’s rest here a while,” Aunt Celia indicated a bough leaning to the ground.  She perched on the lowest bend, just as Buddy’s dog came bounding by.

His question unanswered, Buddy took off after his pet.

Great-Great-Aunt Celia gazed at the ground beneath her feet, knowing that just a few feet below lay the body of Miss Cassandra.  No pirates or ghosts here—just plain old jealousy.  “It doesn’t pay to be mean to your big sister, missy,” Aunt Celia hissed.  "Especially when SHE is ME!" 
***************



This was a photo prompt provided by Delores back when her site was "The feathered nest".  First posted at June 5, 2012, bloggers seemed to enjoy it!  This week will be busy, so it is being dredged up and re-posted.  Hope you will enjoy it!

25 comments:

  1. Oh what jealousy can drive some to do

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. Best not to piss her off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One must always be nice...never know about someone who holds a grudge.

      Delete
  3. Love those trees.
    And yes to the jealousy. Definitely a curse...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where Delores found that prompt, but it makes me want to run (which I can't do) and climb (I'd give this one a whirl.)

      Delete
  4. That's some twist at the end. Great story as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Short story or long book: a twist always shakes the reader a little.

      Delete
  5. I thought I already commented that I didn't see the ending coming...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably did when it was originally posted!

      Delete
  6. Wow! You packed a lot into a few short paragraphs. Great story with a twisty little end! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Short paragraphs are delightfully fun for me.

      Delete
  7. Love the prompt photo. Cassandra must have been REALLY mean to earn that sort of revenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will now wonder if any of my relatives hold anger at me.

      Delete
  8. no remorse, and she's still mad long after her sister is gone Great job w/the writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Celia did not have children. Not a mother I would want to have.

      Delete
  9. What a twist! Well crafted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to all above about my writing!

      Writing short stories means every word must count.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. An intriguing story...one that sets off the imagination! :)

    Wonderful old trees, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Those low hanging tree branches cry out to be climbed, to me. Oh, for those days!

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!