Friday, November 13, 2015

W.Words: Twelve Steps

AA Grapevine
Steve blinked once, twice, realizing that he lay on cold floor in his own vomit.  As he staggered to his feet, a message hit his brain along with a pounding headache. I’ve had enough of this.  It has to stop.

After vomiting again, his brain took a poll of body part members. Stomach?  Liver?  Kidneys? Eyes... with all saying, “Get sober, you SOB! We’re in trouble down here…If you don’t stop, we will all break down, one by one…”

Next day, Steve forced his feet to climb the stairs to the most non-exclusive organization worldwide, Alcoholics Anonymous.  Forced his hand to open the door.  Forced himself to say, “Hi, my name is Steve, and…forced his mouth to say the words…I’m an alcoholic.”

Twelve steps?  He worked through them, again and again.  Now he was at #8 again—a list of all I have harmed…be willing to make amends…then do it!  Make amends! His list was so long, all the people he had hurt.

Almost a year later, half the names on the list had already been crossed off. Squeezing the one year sobriety coin, he smiled.  I’ll never graduate from this, it is not a school…I will face alcoholism…one step at a time…one day at a time...each and every day.

This is dedicated to all who are fighting this battle.  People I know and love are right there with you.


22 comments:

  1. Sure is a battle. Great to those who are able to admit it and fight it, staying sober.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a hard battle,indeed. Know people who fight the battle with courage.

      Delete
  2. Admitting it is the first (big) step in the battle. Which sadly my mother never did. This yanks on my heart strings. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have known too many who were at the admitting stage, but denied it. Sad lives. Sorry about your mother.

      Delete
  3. It's a struggle. Which is why one can't be forced into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The decision has to be made by the alcoholic, not pushed into it.; Such a struggle.

      Delete
  4. It's so hard to convince anyone they are alcoholic though. They have to see it for themselves and some either can't or won't.
    Some are functioning alcoholics, able to live and work well while mostly drunk, hubby #1 was one of those. It was his way of coping after Vietnam. He was never violent though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veterans have such struggles. After Vietnam, many of my generation struggled and liquor was a mind number.

      Delete
  5. Yuck..... and yuck again. I don't like vomit. Who
    really understands addiction? I don't. I knew a guy
    who had been sober for years and said every alcoholic
    has to hit bottom first. He said his bottom was lying on
    the floor in a pool of yuck in a sleeze bar and people
    stepping on him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being an alcoholic really takes away pride and dignity.

      Delete
  6. That was powerful! Thanks for stopping by my blog, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this. Unfortunately, this story is not unusual but it doesn't get told in the open as often as it should. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Powerful story.Thanks.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Steve,I am Mike and I am also a recovering alcoholic I finally got it in my head after many times in and out of A.A. I have Been sober sin 17 December 1990 you can do it,one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulation, Mike. My friends from A.A. have shared this same experience with me. One day at a time.

      Delete
  10. Great job, Susan. Way too many people have had to fight this battle. Years ago, I worked in a hospital lab, and a good percentage of our research was on the effects of alcoholism, and I worked closely with a number of patients who were struggling to break their addiction. Lots of heartbreaking stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have heard so many alcohols share their stories. Lots of tears and regrets I imagine. God bless you.

      Delete
  11. People in my family suffer from alcoholism. It's a terrible sickness, and quite a struggle to overcome!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!