Friday, November 20, 2015

Wednesday Words: Great Aunt Tilly

Rest in Peace
The coffin of Great Aunt Tilly lay in state in the funeral home, surrounded by family, who mourned her passing.  Whispering between themselves, their depth of sorrow was on display.  

She was quite the grand personalityWell, she was one stingy b…When Tilly entered the room, who could ignore her?…she was evil, downright ev…she was the best mother

No one could say with certainty when the door creaked open and a slow dense fog rolled in along the floor.  No one could describe how the temperature fluctuated between cold and colder.

Screaming, all stampeded from the funeral home to their cars and roared away.

Andrew Jones, the undertaker, and his son Richard were speechless at first. Then Richard cleared his throat, “Well, you don’t see that every day.”




The creator of Wednesday Words is Delores at Under the Porchlight. She passed the baton to other bloggers, wonderful bloggers. Elephant's Child also shares the words at her site, and comments can be found there. My turn is the month of November.  Who will be in December or January?  Wait and see.




22 comments:

  1. What a gripping and dark read. Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Are you getting any wind and snow yet?

      Delete
  3. Chilling indeed. I wonder what would have happened if the assembled 'mourners' had been completely honest about who Aunt Tilly might have been.
    The lovely River is giving us the prompts next month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That'll teach them to think badly of Aunt Tilly....she's not going down without a fight...and without making sure they never forget her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a funeral I would want to attend. On the other hand, what a great story I would have to tell. However, you did and it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to write about funerals. In the Midwest, a funeral was a big social event. Went to many when I grew there.

      Delete
  6. haha come back from the grave to teach them all another lesson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tilly must have been a woman who brooked none such.

      Delete
  7. You certainly don't. Nor do I want to see it, ever. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morticians must see almost every creepy thing there is to see. I guess was a first for them.

      Delete
  8. Nope, you sure don't see that every day. If you did, I'd dislike funerals even more than I do now. (I think I should hire a ventriloquist for my funeral, so I can leave 'em laughing...)

    Great use of the words!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally sounds like something she'd do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Evil dead body and sudden cold temperature changes? I'd be leaving too.
    GREAT story!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks! I'd be the first out the door.

      Delete
  11. It's a shame they all left. They missed the post-funeral feast of those little ham and cheese sandwiches on dinner rolls at the local Elks Lodge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right! Maybe that is where they all headed. Short service, they could say.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!