Friday, November 27, 2015

Bate da Bag outta Ye

source
Liam gingerly placed an ice pack on a swollen throbbing jaw, given to him by his brother Jimmy.  That Jimmy—he sure busted me dial (punched my face).

What had started out as fun horseplay at O'Burne's Pub had escalated into a full-on brawl.  Disgraceful!  You boys have embarrassed us! AGAIN! Their mother had shouted a frequently delivered statement into their faces.

The sequence of the battle had had them rolling onto the pool table, smashing bar stools, and delivering heavy punches (knock yer pan).
  
When blood and broken beer bottles were splattered throughout the bar, the owner Frank McGuire threw them out to dark dank Knackers Avenue. “Get on yer bike and take yerself dah feck this minute if not sooner!” (Get out.)

Once the anger drained away, they staggered along the dim street, holding each other up.  

“A fine donnybrook (brawl), Jimmy .  I sure bate the bag outta ye (beat you up).”

“I’ll gi’ ye that, Liam.  You marmaladed me (punched) but good.”

“Ah, weel, I’ll knack yer ballix in (I'll beat you up) again next time…let’s git on home so Ma can gob smack us. (tell us off and perhaps slap us).”


The Irish males are often a rowdy group who may congregate in pubs. They have very colorful language. After a soccer or hurling game, there is often great animosity.

Next week starts December, and River will be providing some exciting Wednesday Words for ye.




  

23 comments:

  1. Funny about the Irish males. Warm greetings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HappyT-givingmerryChristmas to you as well. Glad you enjoyed this view of the fighting Irish.

      Delete
  2. Some of the words were different (but so recognisable) but the sentiments were very, very familiar to the brotherly wars I watched as a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you were in gallery, cheering them on.

      Delete
  3. I have heard a few of these. Well told.

    I have a bit of Irish in me and fighting proud to have it.

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and the pub would be a fine place for you.

      Delete
  4. Not holding a grudge is a good way to be, I'll avoid brawls in Irish pubs though lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if this is common anymore. It certainly is the stuff of legends.

      Delete
  5. Hahahahaha! A good tale well told! Thanks, Susan. I loved it (and understood it)!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyone who has seen "Quiet Man" will enjoy how John Wayne handled it. Glad you did.

      Delete
  6. a good story to be sure, to be sure...(*~*)
    I do find it astonishing how brothers can get drunk and beat on each other week after week and still remain friends and talk about the fine donnybrook on the way home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Irish pubs are great places to make friends, heck even Obama stopped by for a swig of the black stuff. Cheers, next round is on me, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love pub food, as well. See you in Cork!

      Delete
  8. That's one pub I'll try to avoid...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avoid it, especially during World Cup...Irish are passionate about their soccer/football.
      Seriously, though, pubs are calmer now, since tourism is more important.

      Delete
  9. Hi human, Susan,

    Your pawst reminded me of our former Irish neighbours. What's the craic, I wonder.

    Pawsitive wishes and doggy kisses,

    Penny xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never been in a brawl (thank goodness I'd say!), but I think you captured this scene pretty well. It convinced me.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old West films are big on brawls. Glad you good feel the Irish atmosphere.

      Delete
  11. Use of not just the Wednesday words, but also Irish phrases! Well done! I am impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some I remembered from our time there. Mostly I looked them up on a site. Also have an Irish Language dictionary handy.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!