Monday, November 30, 2015

998 vs. 915, You're the Winner!

Captain Kirk - How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? The world may never know
Source

Halloween was over, the chocolate candy consumed, and empty wrappers told the tale.

Only the good stuff was eaten, leaving mini-Tootsie pops, generic copies and Jolly Rogers in candy collecting containers. The order had been given to toss the losers away.

The challenge began when ten-year old Lily handed me a Cherry Mini-Lollipop, and kept the grape for herself.  “How many licks will it take to get to the chocolate center?”

We both looked at the candy on a stick, judged how small the round candy was, and made predictions.  Me: 75, Lily: 50.  How long would this competition take?  Me: 30 minutes, Lily (bravado of a 10 year old): 20 minutes, for sure.

Ready, steady, GO!

20 minutes in, I had done 120 (cherry). And Lily was up to 100.
25 minutes in, I was up to 200, and Lily was leading with 220.
30 minutes in, I had moved to 308, and Lily was all purple smiles at 315.

As the minutes piled up, my jaws cramped, the type of cramp one gets after eating a bag of Sweet Tarts.

We struggled with sore tongues.  “You’re going down, Grandma…”
600 to 582---653 to 690…would it ever end?

The end slipped in at 45 rough minutes.  Me: 915 and Lily: 998.

Lily danced around the kitchen, hands in the air, singing “Eye of the Tiger”.  Me?  I went to look into a mirror.  Sticking out my cherry red tongue, sweet and sour zones in the tongues had worked themselves raw.


Rule of tongue: eat all the chocolate stuff and dump the rest.  The Tootsie Pops are not a single lick.

The parameters of this game were vague.  I gathered that the more licks it took to get to the chocolate center was the winner.  It shows self control.  Whatever.  It is in poor taste to beat a grandchild who sings "Eye of the Tiger" and knows the words.

18 comments:

  1. I like Jolly Rogers, but I never buy them and I don't know anyone else who has a stray bag of them on the counter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check the Halloween Bags of some local kids. They might have some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know they had a chocolate centre. How is your tongue feeling now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All is well. It was an experience one has to do only once.

      Delete
  4. Now that sounds like a lot of fun! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first 15 minutes were fun, but then it became a matter of pride.

      Delete
  5. My tongue is curling! I doubt I'd have the patience. I'd bite on it and get to the chocolate center ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the wisest course, but I had been challenged.

      Delete
  6. Fun times! It's been a while since I've eaten Halloween candy other than those little mini chocolate bars. Those would be great year round!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the mint chocolate bars? Oh yes, I would eat them allll year round,. The tootsie bars? Left a bad taste in my mouth.

      Delete
  7. In my neighbourhood it was always the wibbly wobbly wonders which sold out first and was years ago. The icecream was simply divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't remember ice cream as a hand out...wow, though!

      Delete
  8. Now we know. Not sure I wanted to know, but at least someone did the experiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Willing to do this for gr-daughter...she always comes up with such creative ideas.

      Delete
  9. Your granddaughter sounds fun. I have never been able to consume a lollipop without eventually chomping with my teeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will power, had to have strong will power.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!