Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Wednesday Words: Xander and Termite Tents

20110518-021439.jpg
This is what I found in my closet. I screamed.
Xander viewed the striped termite tent with pride, acknowledging to his crew that this job was awesome.  Their work and skill more than matched company standards and high expectations.

Before starting the poisonous agent, Xander used a microlight drone over the roof, checking for any possible gaps.  “All clear, guys.  We got ‘er done.” 

Termidor© gas seeped slowly into the empty house.

But the house was not quite empty.  From beneath old wardrobe crept three rats, nasty rats.  They perched on a chair and sniffed the air. “Well, now.  That’s something we don’t smell everyday…


Then silence reined, except for a gaseous hiss.

Welcome to Wednesday Words!  This meme was created by Delores at Under the Porch Light to encourage writers to "break out of a slump" or to experience a different genre.  Bloggers can use these words in poetry, prose, flash fiction, song---whatever suits. Post the words in your blog any day that week or even the next.

When Delores' computer went wacky, Elephant's Child provided bloggers with all sorts of interesting words (that crazy lady).  River,  followed by Jacqueline, Susan, and Margaret Adamson with friend Sue volunteered to provide word lists, photo prompts, or completing a sentence prompt.

If you would like to participate, check Elephant's Child for words.  You may place your creation in the comment section, or if you wish, at your own site (linking it back to E.C).

If you would like to volunteer to supply words, let Elephant's Child know.  

Phew.

22 comments:

  1. First time I've ever felt sorry for rats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so hate rats. They got what they deserved.

      Delete
  2. Poor rats shouldn't have shared their home with termites

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Well, don't want those in the house either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope both have learned their lessons!

      Delete
  4. Rats and termites belong together. In life and in death.
    Thank you so much for offering to provide next months words. I assume you will be posting them here. River has agreed to provide December's prompts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! I am looking forward to providing words that are fun to play with and write.

      Delete
  5. I hope the termites hadn't had time to do much damage; or the rats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a little damage. The rats weren't really here, just wanted to see what worked.

      Delete
  6. I felt sorry for the rats too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. I put rats in the story simply because I hate rats and liked the idea of them meeting their end.

      Delete
  8. I don't like termites or rats. I hope you never see termites again. They're sneaky little so-and-so's working away behind the scenes to destroy your home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a test of endurance. It has been only 5 days since we have been back in our house, and we're still unpacking all those bags.

      Delete
  9. I was not sure what I was looking at in that picture. After reading, I saw the wall, but on my dashboard, I thought it was cheeky. It takes awhile for me to fully focus in the AM.

    It is good that you found those termites before they did any damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Cheeky"! You were the only one who caught that! Good eyes, even in early A.M.

      Delete
  10. Well, you really had me going. For I did not realize that this was part of a writing exercise. I mean, come on, RATS!!!!!!!!!! (Um, this was a work of fiction--right?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiction based on our own recent termite experience. No rats, though. That would have been too much.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!