Wednesday, October 21, 2015

The Village Idiot: Monty Python Explains All


blue Monty Python wallpaper background
Silly Walks

Starting life on a farm, I enjoyed the years of living just outside my hometown of 427 people.  Most of the residents, their ancestors, and their descendants had lived in this area since 1820s. 

When my own small family moved to Ireland in 1985, our adventures took us through small villages with their own populations, much like ours, only theirs dated back to the 1700s, if not earlier.

These villages and my own hometown had many similarities.  Those are obvious, so they do not need to be listed.

However, one striking similarity was the presence of locals who were referred to as the “village idiots”.  My parents explained this was not an insult, but was the only way to describe this part of the populations.


But, after watching this episode of “Monty Python”, I learned how this came to be.


This relieves my mind, as I couldn't force myself to see people that way.  My parents probably were not aware of this hidden training program.

P. S.  I love Monty Python episodes, their unique sense of humor, and satire on the English society.  I found this video, and decided to write around it.  Hope no one is offended--that is certainly not my desire or intention.

18 comments:

  1. Great thoughts indeed. Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you stopped by! Hope you are well.

      Delete
  2. I love Monty Python too so I'm definitely not offended. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Cleese is such a brilliant man, as are all those crazy guys.

      Delete
  3. Four hundred years of providing someone to look down on - that is quite an accomplishment.
    Monty Python rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha they sure are funny indeed. Never knew being an idiot was such hard work

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always loved Monty Python.
    And much prefer the 'acceptance of the village idiot' to the locking them away which became much more common and acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree--in past centuries the "village idiots" were objects of scorn.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Just saying "Monty Python" makes me smile.

      Delete
  7. Well, they have to come from somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very funny, I'm not at all offended by this sort of thing.
    I do think it's quite an intensive training regime though. Wouldn't it be easier to just shuffle about smiling inanely and muttering to people who aren't there? Maybe drool a bit now and again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. They must have felt it was important to up their game and diversify.

      Delete
  9. Alas, I am not even qualified to be an idiot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very few people are, which is a good thing.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!