Friday, October 23, 2015

Termites and Tents


Source
By the time this is posted, we will be out of our house.  No, we paid our mortgages and all our bills.

Termites were discovered and the best/only solution was to tent the house, stay somewhere for three nights and four days.  In the days before that, we had to pack, double wrap, box and store all the perishables, medicines, lotions, and anything else that we recognized as a “must move”.

This was a real Magnus Opus; it forced us to move to the next level in the house purge.


See you on Tuesday, maybe Wednesday next week.

Post Script:

Pure Vanilla Extract
Source

Okay, I am cleaning out the shelves in preparation for the termite tenting. 

The spice shelf is filled with surprises, as most of the spices’ expiration dates are June 2007 or 20010.  It reveals that I don’t cook much at all anymore, since our house is filled with just us two semi-old people.

But before I started the big clean-out, two bottles of extracts spilled and broke.  The extracts spilled out onto that shelf and then onto the shelf below.  A river of extracts dripped out from the shelves and onto the counter.

Every box of corn starch, baking soda, powdered sugar, and paper bags of stuff were soaked in extract (these were big glass bottles.)

When the tenting is all said and done, our house will still retain the scent of extract, since the current product in killing every insect or pest in the house in odorless. 

Next bottle of extracts I buy, I will throw at the wall and enjoy its scent.

13 comments:

  1. So sorry you have to go through this. Still, quite an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh.
    I do love the vanilla scent.
    And I hope the termite trauma is over quickly. And then you can unpack again. Another sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I guess I will complain less of winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That must be quite a challenge, to have to leave your home for a few days. Greetings and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope it's over quickly... my folks owned a pest control business for many years, and I would sometimes help older folk get things prepared. It's a huge job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've never had to tent yet--I hope we never do, but I fear we might someday. I hear you about the spices and all. I have some like that. In fact I threw some out the other day.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugg, royal pain in the butt indeed. Hopefully all the little suckers are killed

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Susan,

    How dreadful having termites. What a hassle! Sorry to read about your in tents situation and may it be sorted soon.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry about the termites. At least there's a fix. And bonus, you got a chance to do some cleaning out. It takes something like this to make many of us do it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also love the scent of vanilla. Could this have been another one of His supposed mysterious ways?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know about tenting for termites. Here in the flats when a close neighbour had termites in her kitchen, they treated her flat, (she got all new kitchen cabinets)then drilled holes in the floors and surroundings of the rest of the block and treated the underground area. Now we all have ugly little plugs in our floors, but no termites.
    I love vanilla scent too, but can't see myself throwing a bottle at the wall. That stuff costs too much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Susan, I'm sorry to hear about your Magnus Opus termite infestation. While your terminology and closing sentence made me snicker, termites are no laughing matter. There are a few things you can do to somewhat prevent the problem in the future. Practice keeping moisture like stagnant water on your property to a minimum as this attracts termites. Also things like clearing overgrown bush, storing wood away from the home and sealing cracks or holes in your house should minimize your chance of infestations.

    Alta Peng @ Liberty Pest Inc

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!