Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Afternoon on a Hill

Paintbrush Flowers and Red Barn in Field, Texas Hill Country, Texas, USA Photographic Print
Source

I will be the gladdest thing
Under the sun!
I will touch a hundred flowers
And not pick one.

I will look at cliffs and clouds
With quiet eyes,
Watch the wind blow down the grass,
And the grass rise.

And when lights begin to show
Up from the town,
I will mark which must be mine,
And then start down.

By Edna St. Vincent Millay


Windham High School
Windham, Maine
Eric William Barnum, composer
Afternoon on a Hill 


10 comments:

  1. Indian paintbrush!....I see so little of that these days, probably because the fields are gone. A wonderful illustration of Edna St. Vincent Millay's poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The poem is in a book of famous poetry from my father. I've been thumbing through it.
      The choir is magnificent, isn't it!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It has been many decades since I have walked in a field like that, explored a barn.

      Delete
  3. What a glorious way to spend a day... Or life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a nice poem, also the perfect way to spend an afternoon.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!