Friday, September 4, 2015

WedWords: The Diary of Lucy Powell

Source

When the town’s beloved, elderly, and feisty Lucy Powell died suddenly at age 95, all wondered how to peer into her belongings.  Miss Powell had no relatives yet alive and no family to inherit a lifetime of her history.  Her family was her community and friends.

Slowly, close friends began to assimilate bits of China, old books, quilts, and other items into their own homes.  That was when the diary was discovered. Who should take it?  Who should even open it?

A diary can paint a picture of unrequited love with hearts broken, hearts renewed, and love lost then found. Finding a worn diary, fringed from fingers turning pages over decades, awed all who gathered around.

Finally, Old Ms Alda Franklin stepped forward.  I will take it.  She and I shared so many memories… All agreed.

When Alda settled down into her rocker with a cup of tea, she opened the cover and began reading each page. She chuckled, cried, gasped, and sighed until she read the last page:


My life had meaning and gave me reason to exist.  Touching others, being kind and generous, loving those who are unloved: that is the essence of life.


To all who turn these pages: Go!  Make your life count!

water-drop1
Source




This Wednesday, Make every moment count has posted 6 to 12 words to be used by any blogger who wish to enjoy a break from the serious stuff.  Use these words to write fiction, prose, poetry, flash fiction, etc.  Either post it on your own site and link it back to Every Moment or  make your addition to her blog site comment section.

The underlined bold italicized words are this week's words.  Hope you enjoyed how they were used.

Also, many thanks to Delores at Under the Porch Light who started this writing stir up, and to Elephant's Child who took up the the challenge. And also to River who grasped the baton to pass on, then to J. Blethers and now Every Moment.  Brave bloggers, talented and devoted.

Go on with it!  Fling yourself out into the unknown!

28 comments:

  1. Good advice. Well written story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always told my students that they would never regret being kind, but being mean would always be in their minds.

      Delete
  2. Wise words indeed. Can count in many little ways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little ways I believe are best; they are hidden from prying eyes.

      Delete
  3. Really nice story with wise words! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that enjoyed the use of the 6 words!

      Delete
  4. Beautifully done! I see you have the link to Mondays Finish The Story working! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful.
    And how I wish her essence of life could be bottled. Or shared as a compulsory innoculation...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely story. Sad, but lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least, she knew her community and friends would care for what she has left behind.

      Delete
  7. This is such a thoughtful and touching story with a powerful message! Another excellent Wed. Words Susan!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I hope you are enjoying a nice beginning of autumn.

      Delete
  8. This is beautiful. People don't keep diaries much anymore. When the younger generations are elderly, there will be no written records for the next generations to read and marvel over. Online diaries (blogs) just aren't the same as a well thumbed old book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true. There will be no old photos in a box or diaries...nothing of paper.

      Delete
  9. Delightful story. We don't write diaries any more, we write blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my old teen age diary still. Has nothing of great thoughts...just things like "we canned tomatoes today".

      Delete
  10. I keep trying to keep up with a diary, but I've just never been able to. Still, I often resort to one when I really need it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is very sweet.

    You might check the caption on your photo. I was very intrigued by the idea that Hall of Fame baseball great Rod Carew had found a second career in professional photography but I think that should probably be a B instead of a D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check the source. It may be the photographer's site.

      Delete
    2. I checked and Rod Carew is not the same person in the photo, and is not the photographer. It must be Rob.

      Delete
  12. How very cool. I found an old diary of my mothers in the attic after both my parents died. It happened to chronicle the time period of her life when she was pregnant with me and the days right after I was born. It was so cool to read something like that, and now I treasure it. It brings my mother back to life for me, just by reading and turning the pages. Loved your story! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, thank you so very much. What a treasure!

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Susan, I am so honored by what a beautiful story you wrote with my word prompt! What a lovely legacy Ms. Powell left behind. Words of wisdom, to be sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You provided wonderful words...many thanks to you!

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!