Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Walt Whitman: A Song of Grass and Fields



Walt Whitman has been called “The Father of Free-Verse”, as a writer in the mid-1850s who was pulling away from traditional rhyming poetry.  So very talented, Whitman was a teacher, a government employee, journalist, and a volunteer nurse during the Civil War.

Walt Whitman was connected to the earth, the soil, and he wrote passionately about its beauty, as well as its cycles of life and death.  Toward the end of his life, he moved to Laurel Springs, New Jersey, which he called “the prettiest lake in: America or Europe.”

I took these photos in Bremgarten bie Bern, Switzerland, when I visited my new grandson (and his parents) in 2012.  The photos reminded me of Walt Whitman’s poetry.


One day....


...and then the next.

A song of the grass and fields!

A song of the soil, and the good green grass!

A song no more of the city streets,

A song of the soil of the fields.



A song with the smell of sun-dried hay, where the nimble pitchers
        
             handle the pitch-fork,

A song tasting of new wheat, and of fresh-husk’d maize.

Please notice the next field over is green and tasseled with stalks of corn.

This was posted in 2014, but I decided to bring out the dusty archives for today.




29 comments:

  1. He sure found the beauty in anything. A field worth a poem indeed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whitman was an amazing poet, a versatile man.

      Delete
  2. Mmm, I love Whitman's poetry. I could smell the wheat and grass in this one. The photos really added to the atmosphere!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog this morning! It was good to see you there :)
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was so glad to see your name! Used to love walking in the fields when we lived on a farm during the 50s and 60s--then I moved away.
      So now I enjoy Whitman's poetry and photos like these.

      Delete
  3. It's been years--even decades--since I've read any Walt Whitman. Come to think of it I found a book of his verse when I was cleaning up at my mother's house and put it with some of the stuff I decided to keep for myself. I don't know whose book it was (I doubt whether my mother was reading poetry), but it's a cool addition to my home library.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you return home from your journey, rest and read Whitman. You'll feel renewed.

      Delete
  4. We studied Whitman in a class I was in once upon a time. You brought back good memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once upon a time...great way to express our years. Hope you feel inspired to dust off a book and read his work.

      Delete
  5. I love Whitman.

    Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a fellow farm girl, I do, too. His writing was/is so earth bound.

      Delete
  6. It's always good to remember Walt Whitman and go read him again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books of poetry are scattered around my desk and chair. Each time they are read is like reading a new book.

      Delete
  7. Love your illustration of a stunning poem. Thank you (and him).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can still picture and inhale the scent of newly mowed hay from that day. Whitman's poem took me back to that time.

      Delete
  8. I'd never heard of Walt Whitman until I saw the movie "With Honors'; in that Joe Pesci's character is reading a Walt Whitman book and later as he is dying the others sit around his bed and read it to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of that movie, so will look it up! Thanks for the info.

      Delete
    2. It's an older movie, mid nineties or thereabouts.

      Delete
  9. My favorite poet, Walt Whitman. I go back and read his poems so often, especially during my melancholy moments. Lately, I have been having more of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry that is happening. I read Yeats and Frost; they help me.

      Delete
  10. A Swiss Whitman? Kinda cool that his imagery applies anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swiss Family Whitman? That would be great.

      His poetry transcends boundaries.

      Delete
  11. Walt Whitman is one of my favorite poets. It's lovely to be reminded of why.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great poet with such intuition.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love poetry, and those who made it famous !

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!