Wednesday, September 23, 2015

The Yellow Plane

This photo prompt was provided by Delores at Under the Porch Light



Flying in this yellow box with wings and engine, Florence clutched her new Coach handbag.  It cost her $600, and dammit, she deserved it.

When her fiance, Winthrop, decided to take her up in his brother's plane, Florence hesitated.  James was an excellent pilot, she had been told.

After a spectacular loop and bank, Winthrop turned to her with a giant diamond ring in hand, "Will you marry me, Flo?"

Florence looked at him in a daze.  She opened her $600 Coach handbag.  "Blaaah!" and she threw up.

This was first published in October, 2012.  Delores is brilliant.

26 comments:

  1. lol, so much for romance in the sky. Isn't that the way life sometimes goes? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Having someone vomit in a short story always wakes up the reader.

      Delete
  3. lol one proposal that won't be forgotten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are certainly events that embed in the memory, this being one of them.

      Delete
  4. All I did was provide a picture...seems to me you're the brilliant one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grown children might debate that point with you! But the photo was a big instigator...Thanks, Delores.

      Delete
  5. I remember that prompt. And your story. And you are right about Delores' brilliance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delores is amazing. I love her dearly.

      Delete
  6. That would kinda put a damper on the moment...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it could have been worse, but don't that thought stuck in your brain.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. There are several Florence and Winthrop posts done over that time period. Maybe...
      Hope you landed softly.

      Delete
  8. Yeah, perhaps that was the wrong time for a proposal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, these things don't go as hoped.

      Delete
  9. Yeah, I think I'd be throwing up at that point, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that little plane was in front of me, I'd run away. There are too many stories like this one.

      Delete
  10. I'm thinking Winthrop could be more careful about choosing his moments. Poor Flo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahaha
    There, take THAT you coach bag. I hope
    it was not an omen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vomiting into an expensive Coach purse has to the a bad omen.

      Delete
  12. LOL, too funny!
    I hope she still says yes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will be another story from the archive.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!