Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Dinotopia by James Gurney

Source

What began as a children’s book changed into across-the-board book, movie, and mini-series for all.  While this is not unusual (The Hobbit), this book created a world hidden from man, except when serendipitous events occur.

Dinotopia, was a world created and written by James Gurney in early 1990s.  Working with National Geographic, Gurney cooperated with archaeologists to create a world not imagined as yet, painting it, and ultimately produce posters to sell around the world, to a mass of fantasy fans.

Seeing other possibilities, Gurney created worlds and inhabitants.  This led him to write a successful Dinotopia book in 1992.  This other book took him on the path to other books, with the co-existence of sentient dinosaurs and partner humans.

James Gurney is an amazingly fantastic artist.  His work can be found in so many media that it is impossible to list.  This site, Gurney Journey in Art, is worth checking, as he demonstrates his thought processes. 

To tell you the plot, what happens next, who does what….would make no sense. The best condensed information can be found in here: Dinotopia. Let the photos speak for themselves.

Source

Source
The complexity, co-habitation, shared language, richness of Dinotopia tells much about this series.  Exquisite art grabs the reader, as moves on to be a worthwhile read.

21 comments:

  1. Awesome art indeed. have heard of the book and miniseries but never watched or read either yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read the book. The art is unimaginable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like something I'll need to check out; I've heard of it, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My students loved that book. Non-English speaking students loved to look at all the art, and a bi-lingual child could tell the story. A picture is worth ....

      Delete
  4. Amazing that starting with artwork led to all that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope reader go to the site where Gurney explains his thot processes.

      Delete
  5. Loved that book. Everything has to start somewhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes, I remember. This was big when I worked in the toy store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My students were enthralled by the books.

      Delete
  7. Those are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard the name Dinotopia in the past and remember thinking I should go and see it, but somehow never got around to it. Now I'll have to see if I can track it down on DVD, and I'll check the libraries for the books too. I love the illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie, I think, was not released in theaters, but then it was 20 years ago. A tv miniseries yes, ruined by a back screenwriter.

      Delete
    2. ...ruined by a bad screenwriter and poor editing.

      Delete
  9. I think I have heard about this before. Looks right up my street. Love the art. I was just thinking maybe this is where the idea of dragons first came from. The dinosaurs not Dinotopia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you can locate some books (libraries, Amazon, book stores) and sit back to enjoy.

      Delete
  10. That is really cool. I think authors who are able to create an entire world, story, and culture out of their imaginations are the best authors of all. I am completely in awe of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James Gurney has done exactly that--incredible.

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love, love dinosaurs! Imagination supreme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a turn on presenting massive dinos: fellow equals, sentient, reading in libraries, etc. Love this artist!

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!