Monday, September 21, 2015

Brothers Prank, #3

adaandanimals.blogspot.com/2006
Another batch of piglets were born, cute little black and white Hampshire oinkers.  Sow rejected all eight of them, every single one.  Not much to do but to hand suckle them with nipples on soda bottles, while they squealed in the large paper box by the washing machine.  

So cute, my five year old sister Mary and I held them, deciding on their names.  Life was good for them, giving us a warm glow within.

The box became sodden just in time for the eight to be moved to their own pen.  The brothers (Yes, them.  The Bastards.) were told to take a strip of heavy fencing and construct a round enclosure, stake it down, attach it to the tree, and make an opening to bring a five gallon buck of watery feed to pour into the make-shift trough.
OK Brand Max 50-10 Fence Panel 5ga 50
Just imagine the vertical fence support on the end snipped off...

They took the 10 pm shift and I would take the 3 am shift.
 
At 3 am, my alarm went off and so did I.  Down the stairs, putting on the wellies/rubber boots, mixing the feed with water, I dragged the heavy 10 gallon bucket to the fence.

Hungry piglets squeal louder than one would think.  And they also charged the opening where food would magically appear. What’ll I do?  What’ll do?  They could get out!..OhwhatllIdo?

Managing to open the fence wire while carrying the bucket was no easy feat. Sharp deep cuts striped across my skinny eleven-year old arm, but I carried on dumping the bucket.  

Closing the gate wasn’t easy, but then I could see that the fence wire had been snipped such that the sharp raw ends were left hanging out.

I ran into the house, crying while I heard laughter from upstairs.  Turning on the kitchen light and dripping blood along kitchen linoleum to the sink, I tried not to cry.  But, I wasn't quiet enough.

Mom emerged from her room and gasped at the blood running down my arm.  Mom rarely swore, but she let fly some good words as she cleaned and wrapped my arm. Sending me upstairs, she said she’d “fix it”.

The next morning Dad "fixed it."  He grabbed the two responsible criminals and dragged them out to the pen, showing blood still visible on the sharp edges.  They confessed.  Dad whipped and whaled them, and hard. And then they fixed the opening.

There was a degree of satisfaction to hear justice administered, but a sorrow for I knew the punishment had hurt more than my arm.

The Bastards.

p.s. I still have the deepest scar, on my left arm.


18 comments:

  1. Brothers are wonderful to have when they finally grow up. Till then though, it can be tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brothers are dangerous when they put their heads together.

      Delete
  2. Ouch, that was a rather rough prank to pull.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They got a whooping and had the fix the fence - only fair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did, but my soft heart hated how much they were punished. Tho they certainly deserved it.

      Delete
  4. I have a real problem with sympathy for brothers who would inflict physical harm. It's a shame they thought it OK and I think frontier justice was called for in this case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In their case, it was meted out. They never did such a prank like this ever again, but milder ones.

      Delete
  5. I missed out on having any sisters, which is good. For I am very guilty now for not being nearly as good of a big brother as I could have been, and I would hate to think of how poorly I might have treated a sister or two. Alas, I cannot imagine anyone being more dependent upon our Heavenly Father's grace than me, and I certainly appreciate Him shining through you in the comments left the last several weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are being harsh on yourself, Jerry. God teaches us through mistakes and forgiveness.
      Sincerely hoping and praying that you continue to be healed.

      Delete
  6. I suspect your soft heart was part of their equation. I am very, very glad that your mother woke up.
    Echoing Joanne here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she left stuff like that up to Dad. But once she was made aware of this type of prank, she had to get involved.

      Delete
  7. That's awful. Pranks are one thing, but wires hanging out like that are dangerous. You could have been hurt much worse than a scar. Don't feel bad about their punishment. They deserved more than that. Only such harshness would make them think twice about trying such again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did. They did not try any such vicious prank again.

      Delete
  8. More evidence that most teenage guys don't think past the next laugh .When they're together, everything's funny...till it's not. So sorry for your pain...but not for theirs! Good for your dad for helping your brothers become better men .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so sure about that, but I sure hope and pray so.

      Delete
  9. that's a punishment well deserved I'd say.
    You only hurt your arm, but if you'd slipped and fallen, things could have been so much worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realized that some years later, just how much worse it could have been--eye injury, severing a nerve or artery--not just deep scars.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!