Friday, July 3, 2015

Wednesday Words: The Storm

The Perfect Storm - Photography Challenge 9/365 - #oldbarn #storm #lightening
The Perfect Storm Source
Last night’s violent thunder and lightning storm more than battered Theo’s barn.  The storm brought it to the ground, leaving broken timbers and shattered planks.

Theo and Ellen were silent, as he assessed all that had been lost.  His eyes widened as he realized the cost to rebuild and to begin again.  Credit?  That was stretched beyond his ability to repay.

“Maybe we could take up a collection from our families?  I know that…” Ellen suggested, hesitantly.

Theo hung his head, “No, no.  I can’t ask them, you know that.”  Then Theo realized with clarity what he could do, what he should do.  “I’ll be back.” He hugged Ellen tightly and then getting into his truck, Theo drove out onto the dirt road in a cloud of dust.


Where did he go?  What will he do? Any ideas? 

This week, River provided 6 or 12 words for bloggers to use as a writing prompt, to stir up the old brain cells.  Take the leap and see what you can create.  You could write it in the comment section of River's site, post it on your own site (with a link back to River).  
I have really enjoyed these prompts.  They give me a chance to cut loose, take the plunge....

26 comments:

  1. That's certainly food for thought. I wonder where he has gone. I wonder if you know or whether you didn't think it through that far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought it through, but wanted to see what others can do with the question...

      Delete
  2. Go and rob a bank? Take the money and run

    ReplyDelete
  3. The possibilities are endless.
    I like the idea of holding up a bank. Or enlisting the services of all at the local homeless shelter... work and experience for food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: Perhaps like River you can continue this with other week's prompts. And yes, that is a hint and a request.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. Off to the headquarters of a bank where he holds a CEO hostage and demands his bonus.

    Happy Fourth of July, Susan.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope he figured something out. What a disaster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Something like that is devastating.

      Delete
  6. Oh, Poor Theo and Ellen, I hope things turn out okay and the barn gets rebuilt.
    Excellent story Susan, we must have part two so we know what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love writing to a prompt! It's been awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing with specific words is like playing.

      Delete
  8. That is a good cliffhanger ending you left there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I always hope there will be some ideas.

      Part 2 coming up.

      Delete
  9. I think he bought alcohol and told his neighbors there was free beer and a barn raising at his house. They used the old timber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that could be an option. An old timber bonfire would be one heck of a fire.

      Delete
  10. I like Gail's suggestion. You've certainly created a suspenseful story, Susan. I'll have to tune back in on Monday.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would certainly be a story to pass down to future generation.

      Delete
  11. love the photo, we've had a ton of rain here; now you have me going wondering what will happen about the barn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure to photograph all the parts of the barn--inside and out. They would accompany the stories.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!