Wednesday, May 6, 2015

We'll Always Have Paris...


There are some basic physics when it comes to mass and space. A certain amount of mass can fill only the same amount of space and no more.

At one of the many award ceremonies held by the world of entertainment, Dolly Parton’s ample chest burst through her snug dress.  When her dress mishap was repaired, Dolly said something to the effect of “My daddy always told me that you can’t fit five gallons of mud into a one-gallon bucket.”

View from below
That is true in every situation, including the Eiffel Tower.

Tourists wander around on the lower level of the Tower before taking an elevator to the second level.  Those same tourists enjoy the greater view of Paris and then load onto another smaller elevator to the next level.

One would think that someone would think I’ll take the next one…no, you go on…  No, all crammed in to the smaller elevator, with the space decreasing while the mass remained the same. 

In 1985, My husband and I were part of that mass which also included a tourist bus of tall Swedish men…no, tall and big Swedish men. My husband was pushed away with the flow of people, leaving me in the middle of the elevator without him.

As the elevator shrank and the mass remained the same, it became obvious to this 5` 4” female would soon be crushed in a vice of handsome muscular tall Viking giants.

Men from the far north of Scotland were most likely to provide a direct match with almost a third (29.2%) of the men from the Shetland Islands testing positive for Viking blood
Daily Mail UK: 1 in 33 Britains share Viking DNA

One giant peered down at my desperate face and placed his massive arm over my head to the shoulder of another towering giant, who looked down at miniscule female (me).  He braced his hand on the other man's shoulder, chuckling while saying something in Viking language. 

The elevator opened, spewing its occupants out onto the top level of the Eiffel Tower.

The Vikings deserted me to gaze at the city they had once conquered, when my 5` 9” husband found me.  We held hands, viewing Paris from the heights of the Eiffel Tower.


The Eiffel Tower will always hold a unique memory for me.


21 comments:

  1. At least they were cheery vikings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, true, they were cheery Vikings. No shields or broadswords.

      Delete
  2. What a way to go....squished by Vikings. You do have the best luck lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabio would have been jealous of these guys.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful story. How astute of them to recognize your plight and arrange a refuge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Too many spelling errors to leave that reply up! It was indeed astute of them. I wonder how many short women live in their country?

      Delete
  4. Its nearly like they knew they'd be on facebook. "All-right everyone snuggle together now..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could have been standing next to the bare-chested man.

      Delete
  5. Your vignettes are always brilliant. The best stories, told in the best way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you wish you and I could have shared that experience?

      Delete
  6. Long time since I did that trip. Daughter-in-law walked up the stairs. Surprised your Vikings didn't do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My memory is a little fuzzy on that point...the elevator is crystal clear.

      Delete
  7. That was nice they kept you from being crushed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was close at one point, and I mean close.

      Delete
  8. Well, that's a unique memory of the Eiffel Tower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For just a second I thought they were going to hoist you up on those strong Viking arms so you could have a better view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now THAT would have been a memory, at least until they tossed me over the ledge.

      Delete
  10. Squeezing in between the gallant Vikings sounds a lot better than being smothered by Dolly's "five gallons of mud into a one-gallon bucket." Glad they kept you safe until you were reunited with your hubby. Great story, Susan!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This story has been waiting in the wings for a while. Thanks!

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!