Friday, March 13, 2015

Wednesday Words...Jenny and Jim

Yum
The wedding was tomorrow and Jenny was definitely jittery.  Her future mother-in-law was hosting the rehearsal night dinner at her own home, with her future husband Jim requesting his favorite foods for all to enjoy.

“Wait ‘til you taste Mom’s meatloaf—it is her specialty.” 

That alone raised alarms. Jenny had a refined palette while Jim would eat anything, even with a shovel.

They entered Jim’s boyhood home and his mom Ella greeted them warmly.  Jenny was clinging to Jim as she met every relative known to mankind.

Every one sat down as Jim’s dad Harold lifted his glass to toast the couple.  “Here is to Jim and Jenny.  We toast you with this raspberry wine, laid down by Great-Aunt Ethel (who giggled demurely) in 1947.”

Here! Here! And the wine was tossed back, followed by murmurs of pleasure.

Jenny gagged as she tried to swallow, but then spit the wine that had turned to raspberry vinegar,into her linen napkin.  She looked around at these relatives, who nodded in pleasure.   Oh, no…can't they taste that?

The meatloaf, covered with serpentine gelatinous gravy, was served with a glob of creamed peas and lime jello.  Jenny’s stomach gave one big spasm

She gave the meal her best shot, ate a few bites, and then stirred the rest into the heap of green and brown.  When asked why she hadn't eaten, Jenny took a few more bites. 

The plates were removed, only to be replaced by tapioca pudding. 

“This is my favorite!” Jim cried as his mother smiled indulgently.  Jenny cautiously took one bite and then she stood up,  whereupon she covered the relatives with one big blast of projectile vomit.

And that is all there is to say.

Thanks go to Delores at Under the Porch Light for challenging writers to create poems, prose, fiction, etc.  Each week Delores provides six unrelated words with which to create something comprehensible, or not.  The underlined words above are the words provided. Please click on the freezing cardinals in the right sidebar to access her site. Interesting stuff, there.

14 comments:

  1. Just the thought of tapioca in my mouth gives me the shivers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was always such a treat when we were little, esp. in the winter.

      Delete
  2. I love tapioca pudding...little fish eggs my dad called it. He loved it to. Great story. I fear for Jenny's marriage if her , ahem, 'cooking' isn't on a par with Jim's moms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also feel her marriage will have some rocky roads. But then Jim will eat anything, so maybe..."

      Delete
  3. lol that would be what would happen if I had to eat any of that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meatloaf and creamed peas would do that for me. Jello would be fine, esp. with a variety of fruits.

      Delete
  4. Poor, poor Jenny. I do hope that over time she is able to suppress that gag reflex, or holidays are always going to be difficult for her (and everyone in her vicinity).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think gag-reflexes run in her family. They may have to resolve to eat in a nice restaurant.

      Delete
  5. Now thats what I call a classic reaction (hilarious) to some pretty awful food. Somehow I think they got the message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like to throw in occasional projectile voment now and then in my stories.

      Delete
  6. Lime jello? As part of the main course? Out here jello (jelly) is dessert.
    That whole meal description has me cringing.
    I take it the wedding didn't happen after that episode?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it happened, albeit the groom's side were a bit unfriendly.

      Delete
  7. Some food shouldn't be classified as food

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Meatloaf, to this very day, makes me ill.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!