Friday, March 6, 2015

Wednesday Words: Charlotte




Photo: Spider web sagging with dew
Nat'l Geo
He had been in Charlotte’s house for an indeterminate amount of time, and days blended into each other until there was no distinction. She moved from place to place, always watching him, as if she were a spectral being and not herself.

Being a female, her enhanced spider-like sense could detect his slightest movement and shift.  It was not as if he was dissident in any way; he was just different and destructive.  She stared down at him in wonder.


Wherever he moved, immediate mayhem followed.  Finally Charlotte scooped him up.  “That’s enough for you, Wilbur!  You need a diaper change, and badly.”  They both giggled and Charlotte covered his face with kisses.

An unexpected writer


The above bold underlined words are from Delores at Under the Porch Light
who faithfully provides 6 words and/or a phrase prompt.  Writers can grab those words and take off with a poem, prose, fiction, whatever.  Please click on those frozen cardinals in the sidebar to access her site.  There are some strange people out there.

20 comments:

  1. My children brought those books to my attention so many years ago. An unexpected pleasure.
    On another thought, I hope you find me in you email in box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evelyn B. White was a prolific writer. It was years and years before I knew that he was a man.

      Delete
  2. Wilbur was a baby and Charlotte the mom - clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought "spider" was perfect for this.

      Delete
  3. All mothers watch their children navigate the web of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey....who you callin' strange lady???? What a lovely little piece Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me? Call you a strange lady? Never, Thanks for giving the words!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I am certain you have seen your share of spiders on your spread.

      Delete
  6. What a joyful, life-affirming take on Wednesday's Words! Also really like the photo from Nat'l Geo., who I like to think is a relative of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nat'l Geo must certainly be a cousin or distant relative of your, I am sure.

      Delete
  7. Wilbur and Stuart Little I always enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilbur was fortunate to have a friend in Charlotte. Stuart Little needed to have more common sense.

      Delete
  8. Nice twist. I thought you were writing about a spider.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some would call you twisted :) I need to try out some word prompts.
    I also sometimes do stream of conscious writing where I set a timer and write without a filter. It's interesting what comes from that exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice twist. Wilbur's a cute baby name. I don't think I've ever known of a Wilbur, apart from the pig.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!