Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Old Age is something to share.


In the early years of our parenting, we were either on the floor playing trucks, assembling Legos, changing diapers—daily life.

When children were almost asleep, we watched TV and our favorite shows.  The actors were about our age we guessed, and I don’t know if their hands every touched a diaper, clean or whatever.
Then and now

They exuded everything we were not: glamorous, glittery, or bulgy muscles, and great haircuts.

Recently I discovered something called “Cake Watch” in the newspaper; it is a summation of birthdays of the celebrity clan.
 
Apparently while we were aging, so were they!  Here are some examples:

In their 80s:  Robert Conrad (Wild Wild West), Willard Scott, John Callum (Northern Exposure), Harry Belafonte, Sophia Loren, Maggie Smith, Sean Connery….

Creaking Bones?

In their 70s: Roger Daltrey, Robert Redford, Patrick Stewart, Jane Fonda, Burt Reynolds, Shirley Maclaine, Chuck Norris, James Caan…

In their 60s: Goldie Hawn, Tom Selleck, Helen Mirren, Jaclyn Smith, Tommy Lee Jones…

This, somehow, reassures me.  Oh, and Justin Bieber is 21.



20 comments:

  1. "While we were aging so were we" is something I"ve noticed a lot lately. I like to see that some of them have aged horribly! We watched a movie recently with Meg Ryan and were shocked at how awful she looked. And she's one who's actually younger than me but looks worse imho. Yes, very satisfying LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Satisfying", yes, that is the best word to describe how I fill!

      Delete
  2. It is sometimes hard to see pictures of them as they were once so beautiful and we want them to stay that way. They were part of our fantasy. Life, though, moves on and ages us all equally -except if you have "work done" and a barrel full of Botox. I find that the ones who were not so perfect looking aged the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones with the greater talent have aged well. They depend on their talent and not their looks.

      Delete
  3. You can sure tell many of them have aged, all the years of make up and botox catches up to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even all the magic in a box can not prevent the inevitable.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Time keeps pace and controls the passage.

      Delete
  5. Don't worry, Bieber probably won't make it to fifty.
    I know how you feel. Can't believe people like Eastwood and Shatner are in their eighties. When did this aging thing happen?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny. We see a celebrity we recognize and in shocked voices we say, "Gosh he/she has aged." Well of course they have.....they've either aged or turned themselves into a plastic creation they hope looks young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really don't have many choices. Go out proud of your aging, or fight with boxes of magic, or hide away from the public. I with the first one.

      Delete
  7. And how I love to see people aging honestly. I have earned my wrinkles and my grey hair, and I hope they have too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In fact, we have battled to get here, wrinkles and all!

      Delete
  8. When they start to show their age, they REALLY start to show it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wrinkles succumb to gravity, and it all sags.

      Delete
  9. Sean Connery is in his eighties? I thought seventies. I discovered recently that Richard Dean Anderson, MacGyver, is only a year and a bit older than me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow that is reassuring, isn't it?

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!