Monday, February 23, 2015

Dream Cycle

STOCK: Misty Forest light 7 by needanewname
Source: needanewname
Almost every morning we wake up, one of us will say “I had the weirdest dream last night…” and then talk about it.  Somehow as the day wanders by, the details of the dream fade away until the dream becomes a pale ghost of colors and people.

I always have “Teacher” dreams. The dream always includes having a huge number (60? 100?) of students with me as the only teacher.  The classroom is a crumbling building, bricks and rubble lying around.  We can hear the sounds of wild animals and shouting.  Other teachers I know are walking by with cups of coffee and laughing.  Then suddenly I revert to being a student-teacher, with no clue how to teach.

Everyone dreams, at least that is the accepted idea.  We dream to relieve stress…we dream to solve problems unsolved when going to sleep…we dream to face our fears… I guess those are all accurate.

My dreams seem to dredge up memories of events in my life, but twisted somehow.  All the anxiety of those times get magnified and blown up, increased to be beyond solving.


What about you?  Do you have a recurring dreams, one that the theme is always the same, the problems as well?  Is anything ever resolved?

16 comments:

  1. Our insecurities always find us in our sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that makes sense for my teacher dreams.

      Delete
  2. I used to always dream about someone breaking in the house until we got an alarm system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have discussed getting an alarm system. Is there a monthly fee?

      Delete
  3. For some reason I always go back to my granmothers old house when dreaming. That or just dreaming about things I've been writing/watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love the grandmother's house dream...they were so special to me.

      Delete
  4. I dream of running in a fenced-in field. No matter how fast I run, I can never get close to the gate. I also don't have any shoes on and am very concerned about that. I have had this dream on and off since I was a child. I am sure psychologists could interpret it for me, but at this point in life, I am at peace living within my own boundaries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting dream. Boundaries, or maybe escape?

      Delete
  5. I have weird dreams where I'm usually a spectator. Or I really have to pee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like spectator dreams; somehow it is like watching a movie.

      Delete
  6. I used to hav vivid nightmares about being unable to escape from a succession of rooms, for instance. I still have nightmares, different ones, less terrifying. I dream rarely, it’s always nightmares. Something to do with eating late at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have that dream, too. A hall, doors, trying to find the right door.

      Don't eat at night!

      Delete
  7. I used to have a recurring dream. Our home was in a huge warehouse type place. I remember all of the rooms. I had it for years and years, and I forgot all about it until I read the post. It's been a long time since it came about. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope this blog post doesn't re-awaken the dream! I used to have dreams where we were moving from our house. We moved a huge cabinet which revealed a door to a room with all sorts of antique furniture. Hmmm, what do our dreams mean?

      Delete
  8. Reverting to a student teacher indicates there are still things in your life that you need to learn.
    I used to have recurring dreams about houses, always a different house, but each one felt so familiar, like I had always lived there, also each house had stairs leading down into a lush green corner of the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lush garden would be a great part to find.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!