Friday, November 28, 2014

Made with Love

Source

It is here!  Finally here!  This is time when all may hit the stores running.  Race up and down aisles with shopping carts rattling. 

It is also a time of befuddlement, when one will stand holding some inane present in the “one size fits all” aisle of decorative frames, pencil holders with fancy notepaper, or Christmas towels.  Toss it in the cart and mentally check a name of a long list.

Checkout and home-free!

Silly me, I think. Surely sharing my love for sewing through gifts would be better.  Silly me indeed.  My son recently told me that not everyone wants a gift made just for them and made with love.

It harkened back to the days of ugly sweaters and personalized odd stuff (a stuffed animal, like a dachshund, embroidered with one's name).  The recipient may nod and give thanks, but wonder What am I going to do with this?

Consequently, my adult children will receive gift cards and a magazine subscription each of their choice.  

So, here is my wise and sage advice: If one gifts another one with a "made with love" gift, be thankful and recognize the love that went into it.  Use it or not.  Re-gift it or not.


Maybe I will head to the stores with the indifferent, cold-hearted gift aisle.  At least I thought of those ingrates.

16 comments:

  1. Christmas shopping became much easier when it boiled down to just the grands...easier but not nearly as much fun. I so remember standing perplexed trying to come up with something for someone who already had everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still gift something to our kids and spouses, along with gr-kids. Also have a name-drawing exchange with limit$40.
      The little guys are fun to gift, but the adults?

      Delete
  2. Good advice, those ugly sweaters can at least keep the neighbors away, right? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the 1990s when those sweaters were accepted. Photos show otherwise.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. And that is what I will end up giving to my kids (in their 30s). Cheaper to mail, and allows their own wishes.

      Delete
  4. Gift giving is making my brain hurt at the moment. Some of the best ones I have received have been experiences rather than things - like a trip to the local zoo to pat the cheetahs. No wrapping required either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my daughters does that with "Amazon Local". Last year we were given a carriage ride at a big ranch, in a white carriage pulled by a white Percheron.

      Delete
  5. If you are sew inclined, you may make something just for me with love! I am a VERY grateful recipient of handcrafted objects.

    I have been learning who appreciates my efforts and who doesn't. Unfortunately I've learned the hard way--made someone I love a graduation present (made just for her IN HER COLORS) into her closet and I haven't seen it since that day 15 years ago. Last year I gave a family member a bedroom pillow (fabric was $12 and insert was $8 ) as one of her Christmas gifts and two months later she sold it for $5. My friends are more appreciative of handmade stuff than anyone in my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is heart-breaking, isn't it. All that work and fabric, and it goes for $5. Sigh.

      Delete
  6. I've stopped dealing in actual "things", adult to adult. I cringe at the thought of giving someone one more thing to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For people like you and me, good thoughts and maybe a gift cert to a local restaurant are just fine. But for my ingrates who are still amassing their worldly goods? Socks and aprons this year!

      Delete
  7. I've been doing gift cards for years, the grandchildren particularly like them as they can get twice as much stuff of their choice in the after Christmas sales. We oldies usually contact each other and choose which store to select gift cards from, so the recipient has cards from a preferred store. Last year my oldest grand daughter moved out of home and set up house with her boyfriend, so we all gave gift cards from the same major department store and she was able to buy a washing machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A washing machine! That was good thinking of the family's part!

      Delete
  8. Ouch, I had hoped that by next Christmas I would be good enough at crochet, so I could give some home made gifts to my friends. Well, there's always the dogs, I know Faith would appreciate a little cover-up before going out into the cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faith must be quite a bit bigger by now! A cover-up would surely be appreciated.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!