Monday, October 13, 2014

World of Autumn 2009


Every October, the blog world is bedazzled by posts with autumn photos taken by the blogger her/himself.  It makes me hunger for and a little bit jealous of the world “back where” there is such a thing as autumn.

Here in Wildfire season in California, the fall colors don’t exist, except for a sweet gum tree that also sheds little spike balls. What I do have are photos taken in late October 2009 on a walk with my brother, Don.  The photos taken were put into an album to give as a Christmas present for my mother who was in fading and failing health.


So, here are some memories of Autumn and a small town, in 2009:

An old house next to the bank

Mom's neighbor.  Mom could tell me who they are, who there parents were...

Small rental apartments next to the train track.  This
used to be a veterinarian office when I was young. 

A house near the local funeral home


After my father retired from farming, he visited with at the John Deere
store every day.  Sometimes he drove to another John Deere store to pick
up parts.  These was pre-computer ordering.

The Methodist Church (which is in the sidebar).  Young couples 
would meet on benches (out of sight) and talk/kiss.

This log house was saved and then moved to this site.  It dates back to 1820 
and across from Stark Nursery, where the first Delicious apples were
created by someone who brought up a "scion" from Kentucky which
was grafted and cross-pollinated.

This house was restored and is now occupied by some very hard working 
people whom my mom knew.  Yes, she could cite their lineage. We
stopped and peeked in the windows while it was still
under construction.  Mom had no shame, and was friendly with everyone, who 
also knew her lineage.

Somewhere this road will come to an end.

These are Autumn memories from a past shared by Mom, brother Don, and me.

25 comments:

  1. I wonder if the world is still so magically encompassing in small rural towns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this town, it feels like there is a big glass dome plopped down over it. National events are out there, but not important. Getting the corn combined and shelled is important.

      Delete
  2. That was a nice slice of life. I really like the shot of the church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is photographic from all angles, hard to pick just one.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful memories and photos. I love autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How I miss autumn! These photos are the ones I view every once a while when I am homesick.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Mom took us on a tour about the county, sort of a travel-view, telling us stories.

      Delete
  5. All roads end somewhere....just enjoy the scenery while you can. Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the long road will branch off into two roads, and they into another 4 words. So, in reality, the road will continue.

      Delete
  6. great shots indeed, I'll take autumn over wildfires any day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the color of autumn so very much. I would miss it like crazy if I didn't get to see it every year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do miss it, but have adapted to see the sandstone rocks on the hillsides to help my homesickness.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful shots. Autumn is a nice time of year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Autumn is the time of year that makes promises, somehow.

      Delete
  9. The photos capture that small town spirit well. Love the fall season back east. Not quite the same here in Los Angeles.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The small town spirit and support for its population is far different than that of the large city. When someone is ill, there will always be a casserole, and a cleaning bucket at hand.

      Delete
  10. These shots are gorgeous! It's making me want to write poetry :D

    Sarah Allen
    (Writing Blog)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K!nowing your skills, please write away

      Delete
  11. How fun that you did this, and I just something very similar when I went to my hometown to pick my mom up for a day at the amusement park with the baby grands (putting together a photo book for her for Christmas). ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A photograph book is so personal and meaningful. After Mom died, we found the album in her hospice care facility on her bedside table.

      Delete
  12. I love that road leading of to who knows where. You could gaze at that and imagine all kinds of travelers and adventures. Horse-drawn gypsy wagons, motor cyclists, cars loaded with parents and kids towing trailers filled with camping gear. A young couple off on a honeymoon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never traveled to the end of that road. there were always side roads to be taken.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's so nice that you made this beautiful photo album for your mom. I'm sure she appreciated the nostalgiac tour with you, and your brother. Thanks for sharing these special memories, Susan.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!