Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The Old Movies, Forgotten and Re-Discovered


Oh, Lily had seen old black and white movies many times.  Some she could almost quote lines, some she remembered just the story.  But, as the new, flashier movies with flashier special effects came along, somehow the depth and the message of movies became less important.  African Queen?  Inherit the Wind? Twelve Angry Men (Henry Fonda)?  The movies reflected the quality of the actors---the shrug of a shoulder, a raised eyebrow.  The director and screen writers, camera men, and editors?  Excellence came from excellence. Such meaning, such passion for life.

The channel-surfing spouse happened upon a black and white movie in the late hours of the night, and thought, Hey, I bet Lily would like this one... He recorded it.

The next night both leaned back in recliners and he pushed the record button.  

For one hour both were mesmerized and awed by the story line, its truth, the acting, and the thought: This really happened!

One hour was all that could be absorbed.  The next night, they watched only forty-five minutes, and engaged in discussion about what was said, who said it, the actors who gave such excellence.

The third night they actually wept at the conclusion.  The finality and profound absoluteness was difficult to absorb. This movie had moved them to think, to ponder, and to probe the humanity that was given and taken away.


Judgement at Nuremburg


Source

13 comments:

  1. I don't believe I've seen that one. I have seen both versions of Twelve Angry Men though - good movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The older version of Twelve Angry Men was excellent. I wonder--was it a stage play originally?

      Delete
  2. I love movies that make you think. You remember them forever. We go to the movies about 12 times a year. Lately, I don't remember any of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same. If we see a movie that makes us talk for a week, then it was worthy.

      Delete
  3. Twelve Angry Men was one of the best movies I've ever seen in my life. A true classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henry Fonda, along with the other quality actors, was mezmerizing.

      Delete
  4. Twelve angry men is a great movie, but yeah now a days flashy seems to win out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they win out. We watched "Riddick" the other night and the flashier was right there.

      Delete
  5. I really don't do movies. I need to be able to stop, to think, to go back and reconsider. Which is why books are my go to for education, for comfort, for delight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was raised on sitcoms and westerns and now I mostly watch those weekly TV series where everything is solved or resolved in 45 minutes. The books I read are all fiction too. Nothing heavy or thought provoking at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do so agree about movies. I always choose the old movie channel over the newer and glitzier movies. The other night I saw the old b/w Spencer Tracy movie where he worked on a fishing boat off Canada. Micky Rooney was just a boy as I think it was made in 1937. The name escapes me as it's early and my brain is still asleep. Ha It wasn't my intention to watch a movie but I couldn't tear myself away and I'm still thinking of that movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Captains Courageous....I thought that was the name but wasn't sure so I had to look it up. I think Tracy won an academy award for that, too.

      Delete
  8. I haven't seen that one. I've seen African Queen...hubby likes older movies like that one.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!