Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The Letter G, y'all

The Letter G, glorious G

If you are from the South, or live near the South, or emigrated from the South, or wish you lived in the South, then this word will have you nodding,"Yes.  Yes, of course."


"G" is for Grits.



Source: Eat Live Run
I did not enter the delicious world of grits until I was an adult.  My parents knew all about grits, had been eating them for years, but somehow they never put them on the table.


It was shortly after having an abscess in the lower back molar with a major bad root canal, that I discovered grits. After such a massively painful event, the only foods I could eat had the texture of baby food.  Mashed potatoes were acceptable.

That was when my mother fixed me some grits.  She put a sizable glop of real butter on it, poured a bit cream, and a swirl of maple syrup.  Grits, glorious grits!**


If you live in Louisiana, please go there and write about it.
**Some Southerners may prefer their grits with bacon and eggs, but I like the sweet better.  This is from Bite and Booze, Jay D. Ducote.  

For any readers who have experienced similar dental experiences, I offer my sympathy.  If I were at your house, I would mix up some grits for us both.

Grits can be purchased at any reputable grocery store, next to the oatmeal.  Better quality  grits can be found in a "Sprouts" or natural food store.

20 comments:

  1. I have had shrimp and grits in a restaurant and they were umm, umm, good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never tried it at my sea, and with my issues, never will

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grits.....we've got grit on the driveway...not the same thing though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned about grits from my Southern-born husband. He makes it for us, but with my diabetes I have to be careful. Grits have soooo many carbs per serving and that I have to eat only a small one, with no sweets added. But adding sweets sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmm love love grits---i love cream of wheat sweet but prefer my grits with lots of butter and salt :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wasn't born in the south but I've been told I have a southern soul. I love grits :)

    Sarah Allen
    (From Sarah, With Joy)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love grits fixed just as you described. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grits rank right up with corn meal mush, oatmeal, cream of rice, cream of wheat and anything else that comes with a chunk of butter and some real maple syrup on the top and around the sides, waiting to be mixed in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do live in the South, but sorry, I don't eat grits.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know a thing about grits until a few years back when a co-worker mentioned it. I had to ask what is that, and got the look. :) Loved it when I tried it. Your description here sounds heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE grits! I've never tried them sweet, but I love them with butter, salt, and cheese. And don't even get me started on shrimp and grits. Now I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have read about grits often. Needless to say never tried them. I wonder whether they are available here? Probably.
    I suspect I would prefer the savoury version though. I realise it is a sacrilege but I don't like maple syrup. At all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love grits! I mostly add cheese or brown sugar. Sometimes I add an egg. Scrambled or fried, it doesn't matter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never did like grits until I had Shrimp and Grits, delicious. We lived in NC for 12 years so came across grits a lot. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband was from the south and enjoyed his grits. I could take them or leave them. Who was it who made famous ...:Kiss mah grits?"

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've had that same dental experience eight times now. Suffering an eternity in hell might be easier.
    We don't get grits here in Australia. I've heard they are the white part of a corn kernel, is that right? And who goes to all the trouble of removing the yellow outer layer from the kernels?
    Who was the first person to do that and why? It seems like a lot of trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My grandmother introduced me to grits and butter. No milk or syrup, just delicious real butter. I haven't fixed grits in a while, but now you've made my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum Grits! Mother always knows best but wait I've realized something. I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm originally form the Northeast but have lived in Florida for many years, and I just can't get into grits. I've tried them a few different ways and nothing. I'm open to trying them again some day though. :)

    Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption
    Minion, Capt. Alex's Ninja Minion Army
    The 2014 Blogging from A-Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  20. Grits with a dab of butter, mm hmm mm. My whole family likes them like that...we've never tried them sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!