Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Scared



Source: xymonau
Such a pretty kid...How old did you say?

Her name is Vicky and she was twelve years old.

Do they know yet what happened?  

They?  You mean the detectives?

Who else would I mean?  Yeah.  Them.

They don't know.  Some kid found her in the creek, under the ice.

She....Vicky must have floated downstream...

       Then the ice froze over her...her folks waited for so long...

How are Ken and Sheila holding out?

'Bout as expected.  You taking food in for the family?

  Yeah, Lisa fixed some chicken something or other.  And a pie, peach pie.

I wonder if or when they'll ever figure out...find out what you did?

God, I hope not.  I didn't mean to...the car swerved..she just appeared and...

You must, you have to tell them what happened.

She was so scared...at the end.

       She was scared before that...you could have saved her...she would still be alive.

Father, I wasn't thinking...
     
        Time to own up, Tim...Time to give Ken and Sheila peace.

Scared...so scared.  I am so scared.

       So was she, Tim.

23 comments:

  1. Wow! That's dark. And good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Children are so vulnerable. Adults have to take responsibility for their lives.

      Delete
  2. An incident like this happens too often. In a few seconds, lives are changed forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This seems to be in the news all the time. Hate, hate, hate it.

      Delete
  3. Wow...where did you go for that one? So dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This photographer is awesome. I found it at her site, notified and thanked her for sharing with writers. The photo just hit me that way.

      Delete
  4. Down the well you went with this one. One little thing can change everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photo had that icy feeling, and that is how it made me feel.

      Delete
  5. How sad. Children are so tiny and innocent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing my grandchildren in their photos fills me with their vulnerability.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks, Inger! It is always a pleasure to see your name.

      Delete
  7. Dear Susan, I began holding my breath as your story unfolded--all through dialogue--a whole novel. And I had to breathe deeply at the end. You are such a gifted writer. You have so many, many plots in that brain and heart of yours. A real storyteller. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dee. This is a true compliment.

      Delete
  8. Dark, real - and painful. For everyone.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The parents are hanging onto hope, knowing that in the end, an answer of any type is welcome.

      Delete
  9. This reminded me of the case of young woman who died in the city where I live... vividly portrayed here.




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awful things like this do seem to happen frequently. Whenever CA issues an Amber Alert for a missing child, my heart breaks for that family.

      Delete
  10. Oh how awful! For Vicky, for her parents and worst of all for Tim who could have helped her, saved her life and now has to live with that guilt his whole life.
    So sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim needs to turn himself in to the police, tell what happened.

      Delete
  11. I literally just got the chills!!!
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When writing this, that is how I felt.

      Delete
  12. That's haunting on several levels. The writing is really good.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!