Friday, March 28, 2014

Elegant Elocution

William Jennings Bryan, July 9, 1896


Annual Memorial Day Picnic, 1897
Estes Park, Denver, Colorado
The Honorable Judge Cedric Damian Easterton, featured speaker

Easterton was ending the second hour of eloquent homage to the history of the American Manifest Destiny.  It was clear he was winding down and heading into his closing remarks.


"Always be Certain,"
Demanded Easterton.

shake fist and glare

"Facts, gathered hastily
Infect justice!"

pause for dramatic presentation

"Keep learning!
Make no officious proclamations!"

introspective stance

"Quiet reflection --
Serious thought,
Understanding.
Victory!

dramatic pose

"Who will explore
Yonder zeniths?"

Thunderous applause erupted as Easterton concluded his impassioned elocution.  

Mr. Cyril Thyme-Smythe and friend Dr. Richard A Rodgers stood as Easterton left the stage.  They made haste to the refreshments bar.

"What did that pompous old gasbag say?" Smythe quizzed as he sipped Glenlivet.

"Hell, if I know," replied Rodgers, as he tossed back a second shot of Old Bushmills.

I know this probably makes no sense at all, unless you can see the purpose of Easterton's closing statements.  

Are you READY?  The A to Z approacheth.


25 comments:

  1. He spoke for TWO HOURS?????????????????????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever been to a summer revival in an open air building? On wood slate benches? Two hours is nothing.

      Delete
  2. Seems he wanted to get quoted a lot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad there were no blog sites or Face Book or such.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Delores. Two hours would've been extremely difficult to sit through, unless you were preparing your A to Z posts during the speech!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sit in the back is the key. A bring a lot of food. And a pillow.

      Delete
  4. Sounds as if he had a tongue which was hinged in the middle and wagged at both ends. I suspect I would have zoned out early.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes. I usually headed into day dream land when forced to sit during an endless speech.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can only imagine the thunderous applause as he concluded, whether in appreciate of his speech or relief at it's conclusion, who would really know for sure.

    Reminds me of early 'Revivial Meetings' I was forced to attend as a child while spending time down on the farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have been sitting behind you. Hours, days. The preaching seemed endless.

      Delete
  7. Wow, quite the speaker, and for so long, too. I bet after some point, it did seem endless.
    Ready for the challenge, yes! See you around very soon.
    Silvia @
    SilviaWrites

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you are gearing up, as well!

      Delete
  8. Lord knows I have been in conversations that have turned into speeches by the other party. I drift off and scream with my eyes to anyone around to save me!!!

    Have a great day!
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father was especially talented in lengthy grace before the meal. Not two hours, but just shy of us all breaking out in giggles.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very clever. See you at the A to Z. I know your posts will be very clever too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad to see you, Inger. I hope you are doing well! Have you gotten some rain?

      Delete
  11. Delightful story, Susan! Thanks for sharing it.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. William Jennings Bryan was an interest of mine during Amer. History Classes. A man of great elocution and able to speak for hours!

      Delete
  12. Hi Susan,

    Yes, finally, I've managed to get to your site. I shall make no mention of bloody Google! The A to Z of quotes, I notes.

    I will never be ready for the alphabet challenge. Please, I beg you, make it STOP! :)

    Hope you are having a peaceful weekend, my dear friend.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very good to see your name! I can't make it stop; it has a life force of its own. Just peek in now and then!

      Delete
  13. Clever alphabetical play, there! Good luck with the challenge, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The entire alphabet in one closing statement!!
    You are SO clever! I love it.
    Grin from ear to ear here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Took some doing. But this man would have given commands like this.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!