Thursday, March 6, 2014

Colors of the Rainbow...part 1

Source

A new student today…a blind teenager...William, oh the fun we will share!’ Caroline tied her apron, checking the full pockets.

William walked toward her, his white cane sweeping across the sidewalk and she joyfully called to him, “William!”  He swung toward her.

“Miss Caroline?”  William hesitated as Caroline gently laid her hand upon his arm, squeezing lightly.  “I’m…William.  Your new student… here to learn…colors,” he stammered.

William felt warmth and acceptance as she led him to the lawn where they both knelt.  Caroline took his hand, guiding across the grass.  “This is green.  Green is new life—in grass, in leaves, in foods both tart and sweet.”

Source

Tearing some grass, she crushed them between her fingers, then touching his face.  “I want you to smell grass….really deep breaths.  This is green, green grass.” 

William inhaled and smiled at the unique scent.  Then Caroline directed him to taste the grass, chew the grass.  The bitterness hit his tongue immediately and he spat it out.  “Not all greens taste so awful.  Here, try this kiwi.”  She placed the peeled pieces upon his palm.

He smiled at the delight of tart and sweet, soft and chewy.  “Now this I like!” 

Caroline helped William stand and head to the sidewalk. “That’s all for today.  Here is a list in Braille of items for you and your parents to taste, feel, and smell.  And this CD has as the first track. .  Explore them all.”  She noticed William’s mother walking down the walk and calling him.  “Tomorrow…we will discover…BLUE.”

William turned in the direction of his mother’s voice, but he paused.  “No one has ever done this…”


As Caroline turned toward her room, she was yellow and orange as she relived William’s words.  


Delores @ Under the Porch Light  hosts "Wednesday Words", providing a list of six words and/or a sentence prompt, and/or an assignment.  This week I have chosen to do the assignment:  Describing a rainbow to a blind person.  Part 2 (final) will be posted tomorrow, Friday, March 7th.  You absolutely MUST go to her site (by clicking the delightful stream on the side-bar)and read other participants' writing.  Go there!  Right now!

24 comments:

  1. Great job.......I can't think of anything harder than describing colour to a blind person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor can I. But, this was an attempt, and tomorrow will be as well.

      Delete
  2. Has to be hard indeed to describe color indeed, but you sure made it flow. Yuck to the eating grass though lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? You have never eaten some grass? I had 3 brothers, and we experimented with that and other things.

      Delete
  3. First of all thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment.

    Second, this was a great piece of writing. I can just imagine William's reaction! My daughter works with special needs kids teaching them horseback riding so I'm sure she would enjoy reading this also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a special calling to work with a child with special needs. God bless you daughter.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful sentiment. I was smiling like crazy by the time I got to the end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The beauty and the message that different colors convey...
    I could smell the grass while I read your post...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the smell of freshly cut grass.

      Delete
  6. Oh Susan, this was absolutely beautiful! I loved it! I love the fact that she had him taste the grass...brilliant!
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever tasted grass?! It makes an indelible memory!

      Delete
  7. How right I was to look forward to your creation. Megathanks. And yes, I will be back. And expect I will leak at the eyes a bit tomorrow too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC! That means so much coming from you,.

      Delete
  8. Well done! I imagined being there right with William, experiencing green. I've worked with children with special needs, your post brings up those same wonderful feelings I've experienced when I've seen one of the kids I've been working with grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sense of achievement when working with children who have the Ah-Ha! moment---indescribable.

      Delete
  9. Nice. Everyone should have more color in their life. It is nice that William was ready to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every thing we have to learn scaffolds off the previous acquisitions. William can now move to the next level!

      Delete
  10. Wow - I really like the way you portrayed this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is very clever, I would have had no idea at all how to describe a rainbow to a blind person.
    I'm stumped by the thought they can feel what colours represent but still can't actually see the colour. Which makes me, again, very, very, grateful that I can see.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a creative approach to Wednesday Words! You took a very difficult task, and made it come to life,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  13. You really did a great job of describing the color here. Wow.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!