Thursday, February 6, 2014

Wednesday Words: Ode to Frozen Wastelands

...in winter: big wind, big snow.......and me and my digital
Source: ckgd2
Pearls of Ice,
Riding on arrows of wind,
Slicing through the fragile
Fabric of tolerance, endurance.
Stirring the not-so-creamy snow:
Clearing the driveway
Or
Calling for a cab ?
Harsh decisions, harsh reality,
Harsh winter.


For my sister, Mary
Again, many thanks to Delores   for the bold underlined words.  Looking at the photos of her poor hubby carving through snow in his driveway and hearing my sister Mary's message on my answer machine:  my inspiration for the ode above.
Please click on the unfrozen stream on the right sidebar to access other participants in her Wednesday Words experience.  

16 comments:

  1. You gave winter some teeth with that passage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this stage of winter in Ohio (where my sister lives), winter does have some icy teeth.

      Delete
  2. The bone chilling cold of the grave and the fluffy white of a winter dreamscape...you've got it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your poor hubby working his way through the wall of snow--that was awful.

      Delete
  3. Calling for a cab is the way to go here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eventually, the driveway will have to be cleared, but when?

      Delete
  4. I'd rather call a cab than shovel any day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would as well, if the cab is driving through the snow that day.

      Delete
  5. Captured the desolate course of winter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pearls of ice riding on arrows of wind; we get that out here but it's only hail and quite rare.
    Nicely done, you made me feel it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had hail here, but as you said, it is very rare. I would take water in any form.

      Delete
  7. "Slicing through the fragile fabric of tolerance, endurance" is such an imaginative way to look at snow shoveling. Excellent poem!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister inspired me: endurance. She had run low on that.

      Delete
  8. We're having such a rough winter here this year (like many places), and the roads are never snow/ice-free. Rumor has it they ran out of money for salt weeks ago. The car crashes we see almost daily are ugly reminders that it's probably true. Who doesn't plan ahead for salt in the NW? I just don't get it...it's lives their messing with, not something trivial. But I digress...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The South really had no need to lay in supplies, but then they were blasted with unheard of amounts of snow and ice. I hear the Atlanta and parts around are in the path of really bad snow. God bless and help them.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!