Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Stone Words



Stone Words by Pam Conrad
Source: Stone Words

What?! Again!?  Another kid’s story?!

Yes, my love for books, good writing, engaging plots, and children’s books appears once again.

Also, my gr-daughters are growing to the age when these books would be appropriate and interesting.

This book is Stone Words, written by Pam Conrad and published in1990 .  Like the last book highlighted (Jennifer Murdley’s Toad), the plot is again in the supernatural world where the protagonist must wrestle with clues to find the answer.

Summary:

Due to her mother's instability, Zoe moves into her grandparents’ house, where she meets another Zoe (Louise).  While Zoe is alive in the modern times, Zoe Louise is more than one hundred years older, from another century.

They now dwell in the same house, and are part of each other’s lives.  A friendship develops.  They are separated by time…and a staircase.

As Zoe grows, Zoe Louise does not.  Instead, she changes, drastically.  Something horrible is about to happen, and Zoe must travel back to the past, to prevent an imminent event.  If she is successful, Zoe will alter the past and the present.  What will happen to Zoe Louise?
Just the book to read aloud and grab a fourth grade class, isn’t it?  Well, it grabbed me, but I would not allow myself to read ahead to see the ending. 

Again, good writing is good writing whether for a ten year old or those decades older.

Note:  Pam Conrad (1947 - 1996) wrote and had published eleven children's books, many for YA.  She also received many prestigious awards.   She died of breast cancer, taking her talent and imagination with her. Information about Ms. Conrad can be found here and at this very excellent site.



17 comments:

  1. Agree, good writing is good writing. I remember this one too, may have had it at my zoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one that I really enjoyed. I am reading "My Daniel" also by Pam Conrad.

      Delete
  2. I've become spoiled by children's books. I find them, more often than not, to be better written than a lot of adult stuff. But I have to be honest, I haven't looked at much adult stuff for many years so I don't know what out there. Give me a Newbury novel any day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try "The Bronze Bow". It is an old Newbury book and well done.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like another little treasure I have to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was hard to find, had to go to Amazon Used Books. Ms. Conrad had written many award winning books, all of them written beautifully. Sadly, she died so young.

      Delete
  4. I love mysteries and used to devour them as a child. I remember all the Dana Girls and Nancy Drew books I had. This sounds like one to interest most little and big folks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books for the 4th and up have become more sophisticated than they were. The writing is in many ways better and tighter. I like this. I read every Drew book going, along with the Hardy Boys!

      Delete
  5. Such a short life. Her stories can live on though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a life and a talent. Wonder what her books were yet unwritten?

      Delete
  6. I love this type of story! Added to my ever growing list...Have you read "The Changeover" by Margaret Mahy? it's from the 80s, here's a bit from the first chapter......"It's going to happen," said a voice.
    "What's going to happen?" Laura asked before she realised that the voice had spoken inside her, not outside in the room. It's a warning, Laura thought with a sinking heart. She'd had them before, not often, but in such a way that she had never forgotten them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the title and author written down!

      Delete
  7. This sounds like a wonderful book. It's such a tragedy that Pam Conrad died so young.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many wonderful women (and men) have suffered from breast cancer. Early detection is so important.

      Delete
  8. You are an evil temptress. But you knew that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bwah-ha-ha! Yes, I am. I love books, as do you.

      Delete
  9. That certainly sounds like a compelling plot!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!