Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Another fine new Christmas Carole Proposal

Let the Carols Ring!
Another new Christmas Carol proposal! 

Already in Wal-Mart and other fine shopping stores, the toy aisles are burgeoning with this year’s new “gotta haves”.  The ceilings are dripping with garland; strands of flashing Christmas lights line the tops of the shelving.  No help needed to find the kids’ toy section!

Meanwhile, shopping in the fabric/craft area or any place in the store, all adults can hear the chorus of Christmas Techno overlaid with children whining for that special toy…and that one…

Here is my proposal for a new song.  We sang it frequently to our youngest daughter “Mary”.  She hated it then and apparently she hates it now.

From Fine Young Cannibals:




The thing about Mary was that her whining voice could be heard all through the store.  Never had any trouble locating her if she wandered off.


What do you think of this suggestion for a new Carol??


Please understand this is all in jest.  I love Christmas Carols!    Starting to play them over store speakers at Halloween wears thin after six weeks.

p.s.  Today is my birthday.  Born in 1951.  You do the math.  No happy wishes needed, just rejoicing that you and I and other readers have reached this point of our lives.  Rejoicing that writing is something that thrills us all.
I probably wont be checking my blog until next Monday, as I am going to party like it is 1984.  Not really, but it is a thought.

24 comments:

  1. Hey... surviving the 60s was no mean feat. Happy Birthday! I think I've heard Mary in the store a time or two. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her voice is much lower now, but she has a toddler so she may have some payback.

      Delete
  2. Good luck partying away, at that age you may need a week to recuperate lol, just kidding. Definitely raise some eyebrows with that song as a carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Christmas music, but only if it is played after December 15th and ends December 28th. Other than that, it is like too much candy and makes me sick.

    Oh, go ahead and celebrate like it is 1984, just no break-dancing. At our age, we have to worry about breaking our hips. Have a Happy Birthday, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Arlene!
      Never was any good at plain dancing. When I watch the break-dancing, I wonder what their joints will be like when they hit 30.

      Delete
  4. I'm not as crazy about the Christmas music as I was when I was young...still like the traditional stuff though. Happy Birthday...hope you do something to make it special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today I am going to be with my gr-daughters. It will be a marvelous day.

      Delete
  5. Well, happy birthday to you!! I couldn't get the music thing to show up or play :(. Maybe that's a good thing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you're on to something with the suggestion of that song as a X-mas carol. I like the tam-tam-tam beat. :)
    Hope you enjoyed your birthday, and it's so nice to be back here. (Though I added my name to your list of followers, I don't seem to get regular updates in my email, but love checking back in. Just have to remember.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is a Word Press thing, but the email should go through. I will try again! I enjoy your posts so much!

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday!!
    And this song brought back a lot of memories for me. I listened to it all the time in college. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of the early MTV videos, and we played it for Mary. She hates that song.

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday. It's just fine being this old (or older), but why did you bring up partying like it's 1984. Wouldn't that be grand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was young in 1984, and it would be grand, wouldn't it.

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday, Karen. You really are just a spring chicken compared to some of us born much earlier. Have a great time ~ 1984 was a good year......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It WAS a good year. My kids were young, we were in the "golden years" of parenting. I find myself sighing.

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday and many more of them.
    Christmas carols do my head in. Or at least Christmas carols in shopping centres and (shudder) advertisements. Carols by Candlelight on the other hand..
    And I am waiting to see how soon after Christmas the hot cross buns hit the stores. Last year it was while the Christmas sales were still runnning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh...for us it would be Valentine's. The boxes for employees to unpack would be out, as they cleared away the Christmas 50% off sales. Excellent.

      Delete
  11. I was born this month in '49 so I agree with everything you wrote plus two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? What day? As a struggling farm family in Illinois, my birthday was worked into Christmas, which cut down the # of presents. My son's b-day in on Dec. 11.

      Delete
  12. Hey! Happy belated Birthday! How did I miss this?
    Oh that's right, dental anesthetic headache.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mary sounds a lot like my younger sister. My dad used to call her Crying Charlie because of all the whining she did :-)

    Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!