Thursday, October 24, 2013

Wednesday Words: Evening Plays Out


Oh, Delores!
As a blazing sun descended, a crescent moon waited to emerge. An evening mist spread over the rainbow leaves.


Black Squirrel made a rapid assessment of the perimeter before retiring in his acorn filled nest. Staring at a hidden camera, Squirrel thought, Get a life, why dontcha? He scampered up to his beloved hoard.

Black Crow landed in the old oak, just above Squirrel’s home. He cawed to Squirrel, “You up for some Texas Holdem tonight, Billy?”

To which Billy chattered, “You betcha, Timmy. Your place or mine?”

starting 3
A Winning Hand


 Again, many many thanks to Delores at Under the Porch Light, whose words, wit, evil (vociferous?) and tricky mind, photos, and just downright clever personality never cease to amaze me.  Her site contains some amazing answers to this week's challenge.  Enjoy!

15 comments:

  1. haha I guess not just dogs play poker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot must happen in the old oak tree.

      Delete
  2. The secret world of squirrels and crorws...I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you ever wonder what those crows were saying to each other when they cawed? And squirrels when they chattered?

      I always did. Maybe that explains a lot.

      Delete
  3. This was hilarious! I love the idea of the animals in my back yard having conversations and a hidden life after the sun goes down. Very Beatrix Potter of you! Off to check out Delores' blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen! I wonder what Beatrix Potter would have thought of my animals?

      Delete
  4. Haha, this is awesome :) This would be fun to illustrate, if I had any artistic skills whatsoever.

    Sarah Allen
    (From Sarah, with Joy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone suggested how like Beatrix Potter it would be. I don't think she knew about Texas Holdem.

      Delete
  5. I suspect the crow at least cheats. I wonder whether the squirrel realises...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure Timmy cheats--crows can't help themselves. But Billy--squirrels are fast on the draw.

      Delete
  6. I never saw a real black squirrel until I moved to Michigan. Now I see them all of the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are not here in our mountains. The photo was so striking--lovely animal.

      Delete
  7. Again, you've made me smile out loud. Thanks, this is very good.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!