Friday, October 25, 2013

Chosen Rocks

Source
Gray still sky over
Roiling silver sea,
Soaking gold to slate
Slabs of sand.

Satin rocks, ancient rocks
Worn and beaten
Smooth by
Merciless waves.

My brother is dying.
Her whispers cast
To deaf waters.
Salt to salt,
Whispered over and over.

Three speckled rocks
Chosen by grace.

One rock resting
in a noisy room,
Whispering silently
My brother is dying...

One rock for bedside
Where whispers and tears merged.

One rock more--

At last, gazing at her
Blessed brother, eyes closed, 
In steel gray casket.

Tucking a smooth
Ocean stone into icy hand.
My brother has died.

Tears to tears,
Sea to earth,
Cold hand to warm,
Words silenced,
Whispers lie heavy
in the heart.

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Some rocks are easier to carry than others.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry, Susan. I can't fathom the pain, but oh. your poem is powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very sad. I hope it is fiction, but if not, then doubly sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister-in-law always goes straight to the inlet when she is upset or needs to reflect. I am sure that water and those rocks have heard many a heartfelt plea from her, and felt her tears. For some people the water provides a sort of comfort. Your poem is very sad, and very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes writing from a painful perspective can be the most beautiful writing and even cathartic in many ways. I love this and thank you so much for sharing Susan.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!