Monday, June 24, 2013

Queen Anne's Lace

Source: Public Domain
Queen Anne’s Lace
By Mary Leslie Newton
Queen Anne, Queen Anne, has washed her lace
(She chose a summer day)
And hung it in a grassy place
To whiten, if it may.

Queen Anne, Queen Anne, has left it there,
And slept the dewy night;
Then waked, to find the sunshine fair,
And all the meadows white.

Queen Anne, Queen Anne, is dead and gone
(She died a summer’s day),
But left her lace to whiten on
Each weed-entangled way.

Poor Queen Anne--you should access the above Wikipedia site and read about her.  It is really sad, tragic even.  


10 comments:

  1. Nicely done
    Under your sun
    As such a lace
    You embrace

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lacy days of summer
    have Queen Anne's work
    on display.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!
    Bears Noting
    Life in the Urban Forest (poetry)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it took Edward VIII's abdication for Britons to realize that even though they love their monarchs they don't actually need them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS--trigger finger down here, lovely rhyme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. None of the monarchs lead a life I envy - even those who don't come to a premature and unpleasant end.
    I love Queen Anne's lace though - thank you. A beautiful AND thought-provoking post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard so much of Queen Anne. Definitely going to read up about her now. Thanks for the link. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Queen Anne's lace. Such a pretty wild flower.
    tm

    ReplyDelete
  8. This reminds me of a Swedish meadow, full of lace. I have a picture of it, but it is not needed to remind me of its beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. one of my favorite wild flowers, and what a haunting poem

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks to all. I am in a WiFi wasteland, so can read comments infrequently. Still on vacation!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!