Friday, June 21, 2013

History = People

“Put me in a library, hand me a book about history and a cup of tea.  Then leave me alone.”

Famous quote, you ask?  No, it is mine.
 
Concise and precise yet rich with imagination and life, this is how I feel about history and things with a history attached to them. 

Pike County Courthouse, Pittsfield, IL
I “inherited” or “liberated” a book from my mother’s house, with her permission.  It is The History of Pike County, Illinois, and it is dry reading for the most part.  However, it is filled with entries such as this:


Jacob Fesler, farmer, sec. 30; P.O., Eldara; was born in Clark county, Ky., June 8, 1821; came to Pike county in 1835 and settled on sec. 19; he owns 320 acres of land, worth $35 per acre.  Oct. 15, 1846, he married Zerilda Lyons, and their 6 children are: Sarah C., born Aug. 27, 1848; Henry A., Aug. 4, 1850; Adelpha, Nov. 28, 1853; Jane Ann, May 25, 1856; John R., Aug. 2, 1860; Emma E., Jan. 15, 1863.  Both are members of the M.E. Church South, and Mr. F. is a Mason, and in politics a Democrat.


While this entry and others like it are pretty summary in the treatment of Jacob Fesler’s life, it still speaks volumes all on its own.  The stuff of life.


Bring me another cup of tea!  If you please!

P.S.  I am still out and about with my hubby on vacation. Please feel free to leave comments, but I will be unable to respond.  Enjoy June!

10 comments:

  1. I have a copy of the page about my great grandfather from a book of autobiographical statements from the men of the town. It filled in a lot of blanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your vacation...and keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Susan, the skeleton of a whole life in so few words. Enjoy your adventuring! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always been such a history buff and I love stuff like this. Couldn't agree more with your wise words!

    Hope you are enjoying a wonderful vacation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a wonderful vacation. While at school history was dates and battles and I loathed it. How I wish it had been taught as a study of people and their lives. I now love to read history - but am still filling in all those gaps in my education.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet you are having a wee of a good ole time.
    Zerilda..... now there's a name you don't hear every day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was in school I thought I didn't like history when really I did. I guess I just didn't like the way it was often presented in school. Now I love history!

    I'm getting ready to take a vacation in the upcoming 2 weeks. Hope you've had a wonderful time on yours.

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer my history in the form of Historical Fiction as long as the stories are based on facts. When I was in high school we had a substitute history teacher for a term and for that one term history was a fascinating subject. She really made it come alive. Then our regular teacher came back and it was all dry as dust again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan, that's a great quote! Love it. And that entry is interesting, just the details, the price of an acre, the number of children. I hated history when I was in school, but I love it now. Hope you're having a blast on your vacation.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!