Thursday, May 30, 2013

Wednesday Words: Lucky

deluge in Singapore: pouring rain - umbrellas at the ready, everyone...
Source: fishmonk
Dashing through the downpour, Jackson could see no other shelter than a shadowy doorway.  Within the doorway lay a trembling dog, soaked to the skin.  Even with its matted fur, Jackson appreciated that this dog had some breeding. 

dog: dog
Source: lauralucia
Attached to Jackson’s key chain was a tiny LED flashlight.  “Here, boy…” Jackson rubbed the wet fur with his woolen scarf, while searching for a chain or some ID. 

The flashlight caught the glint of a tag in the shape of a four-leaf-clover, with the name “Lucky” and a phone number.  Jackson dialed it, hearing the ring, and finally an answer.  “This is the Blank residence.  How may I help you?”
Doggie ID Tag with Four Leaf Clover
Source


After telling about finding “Lucky”, Jackson heard a boy in the background shouting with joy.   “Lucky!  Lucky has been found!...”  Moments later a car pulled up and the boy jumped out into the rain, wrapping his arms around his dog.


“You need a ride, mister?”  The boy turned to ask.  But no one remained, the doorway was empty.  Jackson had disappeared into a sheet of rain.

Many thanks to all who read Delores @thefeatherednest and find her Wednesday Words a challenge!  Take a chance and see what you can create!

18 comments:

  1. Saving a mutt, what a nice thing to do. Now he can go home and eat some poo lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely story. Thanks for playing along Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved your take on the words!! Red eyes, indeed!

      Delete
  3. I like stories with mysterious strangers who melt out of sight. Nice one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the dog photo, which gave me a focus. And the mysterious stranger, Jackson. I've been eager to use that name.

      Delete
  4. I believe from the bottom of my heart we make our own luck. This dog's owners made their own luck by tagging their dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, definitely. And now GPS implants are available for pets, as well. If one has a precious pet, it is a worthy investment.

      Delete
  5. This is excellent, Susan. Even in these few short sentences, I was rivetted by the story and the characters in it. It touched me deeply, as well.

    Like Jabblog said - 'nice one!' - June

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have popped over to Delores' site! She always has a story that surprises. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. I'm amazed at the different slant you and Delores give to the same words! Fascinating. And ingenious! I'm going to try tomorrow . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a different take on the words that Delores' gave us. And how right I was to wait for the inspiration of the wordsmiths. I love this - and the dog photo melted my soggy heart too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the story about a dog. I seem to love dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your stories too, Susan, and I'm wondering if a book of these short, but always exciting, thrilling, and meaningful stories is on the horizon? What a collection you have assembled here on your blog.

    This fits in both with the Wednesday story and with the Random Acts of Kindness. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicely done of the guy, great story

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!