Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Sock Drawer: The Great Sweep


The Open Plain of Bureau Top

Few remembered the Great Sweep, as this event occurred sporadically and quickly.  Those who did could give only sparse details and explanations.  This time, however, the Lace Trouser Socks had been taken out and lay upon the Bureau Top:  they witnessed the Great Sweep.

After all was done and they had been returned to Sock Drawer, they lay stunned as the other socks gathered around them.  Slowly, Mr. Lace Trouser began to explain. 

Having been pulled from the Sock Drawer and placed upon the Bureau Top, they had observed a flat plain stretching as far as could be seen.  Treasures of all sorts were strewn on this plain, along with glittering cylinders titled “Inis” and “Regenerist”.  So many treasures, such a wealth beyond imagination lay on the Open Plain. 

Then the Sock Drawer was opened, just beneath the Bureau Top Plain, and all the small treasures were swept into the Sock Drawer.  Whoosh…sweep…slam.  It was over so quickly. 

Mrs. Lace Trouser continued to speak of Stranger entering the Room Beyond as the socks were being pulled upon the Owner’s leg.  The Great Sweep had something to do with the Stranger coming to the room.  Clearly the Alpha, the Stranger gave approval for the now empty Bureau Top Open Plain.

Questions, so many questions had to be asked about this Open Plain, the Bureau Top, and the Room Beyond. But for now, the newly-returned Lace Trouser Socks needed to rest. 

What treasures!  


The residents turned their attention to the treasures.  Wonderment would soon fill the world of Sock Drawer.

P. S.  The last post on the Sock Drawer is this: http://thecontemplativecat.blogspot.com/2012/08/massacre-in-sock-drawer.html


27 comments:

  1. I can see them all tucking a little loose change into their 'roll ups' lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! Did you tuck change in the cuff and then roll it down? I did.

      Delete
  2. Looks like the sock drawer is going to have a field day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A new world perspective has just opened.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like they are going for an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, they are my favorites! I hope they each can gather up something pretty for their very own treasure. Maybe they need to find a place to hide their treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful as ever! The contents of my drawer must be in utter turmoil - my American friend arrives next week and all my possessions being moved into another room, poor things :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sock Drawer will have an enriching experience!

      Delete
  6. Dear Susan, your imagination never ceases to amaze me. I'm looking forward to the day you complete your family memoir. But also I'd so like to read a fantasy novel penned by you. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am reworking the family memoir as we speak. I also have Native American book I have sketched out.

      Delete
  7. Does the underwear drawer know what is going on in the sock drawer? Some of those old and size small undies may not have been outside for a long time. Maybe it is best that they don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The underwear drawer sees too much action, too frequent washings to maintain a consciousness. I thought about it. Decided not to go with that.

      Delete
  8. Guess you socked it to 'em.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Goldie Hawn and the cast of Laugh-In may like this!

      Delete
  9. Great imagination, Susan. Amazing what we can find when searching through drawers ... treasures indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I have found something I believed lost to me forever, like a tiny set of language dictionaries, given to me at high-school graduation!

      Delete
  10. But will the socks relinquish any of these treasures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That may pose a problem for some of them.

      Delete
  11. The shirt drawer has to be jealous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They might be, but I haven't explored that drawer yet.

      Delete
  12. Sock it to me baby. Find me some trousers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My own trouser socks never see the light of day, as I wear sandals most of the time.

      Delete
  13. I love this and am totally jealous of the socks. What fun they are going to have haha.
    Such a fun and creative piece. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to check out the other Sock Drawer Sagas. I wonder if I should make that another blog site? Any thoughts on that?

      Delete
  14. Looks like the treasures outnumber the socks.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!