Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Random Acts of Kindness: Anniversaries of Tragedy

Random Acts of Kindness Blog Fest May 27-31

Anniversaries of personal tragedy are the hardest days for me.  The first year anniversary or the fifteenth year—time does not change the depth of grieving for the death of someone beloved.
 
Bill when he was in high school with his horse, Sonny
December 12, 1999 was the day my youngest brother Bill died, at age 44.  It was 11:30 at night, Sunday night.  His fiancée had phoned from Louisiana that afternoon at 2 PM to tell me that Bill was very ill and would be going into surgery to correct problems from surgery done earlier that week. 

Very ill.  May not make it.  Doctor says….

The rest of the day was spent in pacing around the house, calling the nurses’ station, pacing some more.  Until 11:30 that night.

On December 12, 2009, I sat, watching my granddaughters playing.  The oldest, five year-old Bright Eyes noticed how quiet I was and how sad my face seemed.  She climbed up on my lap and asked in her little sweet voice if I was sick. 

I told her about my brother and how he had “gone to heaven” ten years ago.  Bright Eyes listened solemnly and nodded.  She knew about heaven since their dog Shelby had recently gone there, too.

“Well then, Grandma.  I’ll hold you 'til you feel better.”  Then she settled into my arms, laid her head upon my shoulder, and soaked love into my very being. 

I have never been given such a kind gift like this before, or since.

Hands - Old and Young: Hands of an older female and a baby.
Source: xymonau

24 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Children have an intuition on reading those they love.

      Delete
  2. Bless her...she knew exactly what you needed.
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bright Eyes still knows; she and I are very close.

      Delete
  3. Nothing as precious as the comfort and love of a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Children give so unconditionally, so completely.

      Delete
  4. Little kids know what makes them feel better and it makes sense that it would make us big kids feel better too. God bless her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Being embraced by a little child is a precious gift.

      Delete
  5. awww so sweet---i know all too well about those anniversaries---sorry for your loss susan <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The years pass by, but the date on the calendar never disappears.

      Delete
  6. Out of the mouth of babes! Truly!
    When I lost my cat, my first baby...my son was 4. He told me, "Don't cry MomMom. GoofyKat is with God now."
    Sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing and reminding everyone of the gift a child brings.
    Jamie Dement (LadyJai)
    http://writebackwards.we3dements.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to meet you! Your son was very wise.

      Delete
  7. Nothing more amazing than a baby/kids. Lovely little people, so full of love and wonder.
    Very sweet piece here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking into Bright Eyes' sweet face reminds over and over how blessed I am.

      Delete
  8. That is simply gorgeous and, while she couldn't take away your pain, that love had to have soothed your aching heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Children are amazing in their ability to comfort a broken heart.

      Delete
  9. We think we are the caregivers, but it is often the innocent child who knows the simple and right thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely gift from your granddaughter. I'm sorry for the loss of your brother at such a young age!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Children always seem to know how to bring a smile to ones face

    ReplyDelete
  12. A child's love is so sweet, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We adults are so held back by our own agenda and our fear and uncertainty and laundry list of experiences. But a child has none of those. They give freely and without hesitation or embarrassment. Perfectly. Oh, that I could be that way!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!