Monday, May 6, 2013

Father-Daughter Dance


The Father-Daughter Dance: who could talk about anything else?! 

This Friday, it is this Friday!...OMG!  What are you going to wear?...and I get to wear make-up, Mom said.  REAL make-up…My dress is gonna have sequins and tiny straps, you know, like they wear on “iCarly”….and new shoes with tall heels, just like on “Monster High”…

The bell rang and the cluster of eight year-olds broke up.  Parents listened to the excited girls rage on about what the friends were wearing.  All of them sighed.

Mommy took “Lisa” to Burlington Coat Factory to peruse the dresses for the dance.  The eight year old Lisa was bouncing all the way to the racks where her size dresses awaited.

She was now a size 8 in girls; life was much simpler when it size 4-6X.  Now the rack would hold sizes 7 to 16.  Damn.
Mixed together were dresses of all types, styles, quality, and value.  The battle lines were quickly drawn.  Neither side was going to budge.


Ombre Ruched Dress w/ Shrug (7-16)
From same source as above.  
Dress after dress was pulled out.  Lisa grasped the strapless glitzy 'hooker' dress (note: a hooker dress is any dress designed to be worn by a 16+ teenager, not by an 8 year old) to her baby chest, claiming that she had to have this dress.  Mommy held out a sleeveless dress of floral blue and purple voile, tied with a bow.  Yes. No. Yes. No.  Both were in tears.
Sleeveless Foil Dress with Ruching(7-16)
Same source as above
What will happen?  Will the hooker dress (note: a dress like this looks terribly terribly wrong on an 8 year old; disturbingly wrong) be worn to the dance?  Will Mommy lock Lisa in a convent until she is 18? 

On Wednesday, the battle of the Father-Daughter Dance continues…

21 comments:

  1. Lock her in the convent haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL- this recently happened with my 11 year old.
    ~Summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The struggle continues from generation to generation...

      Delete
  3. Father-daughter dances have never really caught on up in the Great White North. Soon enough, I guess.

    The Battle of the dresses? Something else I've never gotten into. My wife has a better sense of fashion than I do.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!
    Bears Noting
    Life in the Urban Forest (poetry)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is better if the mother takes care of the conflict. The father's job is to say, "Listen to your mother."

      Delete
  4. Oh boy..brings back memories of our daughters grade 8 graduation. Hubs and I were both farm raised and went to one room schools. We had no idea. We dressed her in a lovely skirt and blouse new for the occasion with jewellery and a corsage. Her hair was nicely done. We waited in the audience for the appearance of our little angel and there she was surrounded by a bunch of under age hookers trying to hide because she was embarassed that she too didn't look like a cheap tart. I apologized to her afterward that we hadn't realized what a fashion show grade 8 graduation was supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the same thing to my 8th gr. daughter for the big end of the year dance. I don't know if she has ever forgiven me; I was, of course, right.

      Delete
  5. I hope they work it out without having to lock her in a convent. :) But if not ... Dad must do what he must.

    Silvia @ Silvia Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He will put his foot down, and stand with the mother, if he has an ounce of sense.

      Delete
  6. She can go to the dance in a dress that leaves dad comfortable or she can stay home. Who is in charge there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the mother is in charge. She who holds the credit card rules the nation...

      Delete
  7. It's too bad that glam always means 'too old for you'. Or, too young in my case. And maybe it's inappropriate at any age unless you have one of those professions which demand sequins and cleavage. Certainly an 8 year old is not a working girl.
    I think my mother would have said that I could wear the flowered dress or she'd make one for me. Since store-bought dresses were such a rare item for me, I would have given in pretty quick. My dad would never have been involved until the night of the dance. When he would have said I looked beautiful no matter what I was wearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am much the same. My mother made most of my clothes until I was in high school, and even then, nothing immodest left the house.

      Delete
  8. When I take my granddaughter into Justice, I am horrified by all the hooker clothes. Unfortunately, they love all the sparkles and probably think I am an old fart. However, I am the old fart with the money. How I loved to shop in Oshkosh with them, but those days are gone forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! I blame the problem on the TV programming where the clothes are inappropriate. And where the parents are portrayed as idiots.

      Delete
  9. Mmm... hopefully this one can be won with brutal honesty. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Threatening with the nuns, that should work

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm kind of glad I didn't have problems like that when I was a kid growing up in Sweden. Of course that was a very, very long time ago, so things may have changed, but I don't think they do dances at the age of eight.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!