Monday, March 25, 2013

Relativity

Born Yesterday logo
Avo Theater in Vista, California: source

Sitting in a darkened theater as actors unfolded the plot, Susan realized that she may be the youngest person in the small local theater.  If 61 years can be considered young, then she definitely was.

The high pitch of hearing aids and occasional stage whispers what-did-that-man-say-I-can’t-understand-any-of-this reminded Susan that age is relative. 

It reminded her that walkers and hearing aids do not an old person make.  Yes, creaking joints, arthritic fingers, and sagging skin are darn good indicators.  But, it is what happens in the brain that makes a difference.

The fact that the theater was full of elderly people who got there on their own power and who laughed at the right times (mostly) says a lot.  The fact that groups of widows talked about going out to dinner afterwards says life goes on. The fact that the husband & wife couples still held hands says more. 

All in all, Susan felt like a teenager. 

16 comments:

  1. Indeed. I've been thinking of moving to a seniors complex for just that reason lol. It will make me feel young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! We went on a cruise with my m-in-law (86) and we were almost the youngest. There was another family who were a multi-generation, with small kids.

      Delete
  2. Yeah no matter the age and the crap we have to go through, life goes on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly beats out the other options!

      Delete
  3. When we go to the movies to see a film that does not include special effects and zombies, hubby looks around and always remarks with a smirk that everyone in the theater is old. I then always ask him "When was the last time you looked in the mirror?"

    I consider being vertical young enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Susan, I so enjoyed reading Arleen's last line in her comment: "I consider being vertical young enough!" I'm going to quote her for the next year!

    Life truly is a wondrous mystery, but so often I forget to be grateful for what I can do. Instead I concentrate on those things and actions that I've have to let go of as I've aged. I'll be 77 next Monday and I hope to live this whole week in gratitude for my life and for the wonder of it. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Instead of complaining about my aches, I do need to be grateful for the vigor I still feel.

      Delete
  5. Just a few years over 61 and I still feel like a teenager - in my head. The body occasionally begs to differ. My father always wanted to avoid old people - even when he was 80 and he lived in a seniors' residence. Love the 'vertical' line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Those are for old people" is a line my m-in-law has said many times.

      Arleen nailed it perfectly, didn't she!

      Delete
  6. ha! I am on the same exercise schedule as the senior seniors...they sometimes invite me to Harolds, Marys, Jim's 88th birthday breakfast celebration and they always tell me how great I look...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless their hearts! If we want to see my m-in-law, she has to check her social schedule!

      Delete
  7. Hi Susan,

    My human Gary sometimes yells out, "Help, I'm a teenager trapped in some old dude's body!"

    Oh yes, my human friend. Life goes on and I know you make the most of it.

    Pawsitive wishes,

    Penny :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to think we all make the best of each day, esp. when the numbers ahead of us are considerably less than the numbers behind us!

      Delete
  8. Mind you, I would HATE to be a teenager again. Way too fraught for my liking. And yes, fond as I am of a good lie down, Arleen's line is priceless. Comment of the day (at least).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arleen definitely wins the prize! Being a teenager again in reality? Heck no.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!