Friday, March 22, 2013

Brussel Sprouts Re-Defined


source


Children are brilliant in so many ways.  They literally burst into this world with all the right parts.  Then these little creatures manage to survive inept parents, grow, and start talking.

But one of the best ways in which they are brilliant is that they lack the EDIT button in their brains.  What they think is what they say.  Like it or not, the words come out of their mouths in honest certainty and sincerity.

I have written about my grandchild, Sunshine, many times before.  She is a delight and a frustration.  She looks at the world and picks up on clues that would escape most children.  At almost seven years old, Sunshine is a powerhouse.

per Wikipedia

Sunshine watched “Jumanji” recently with her mama and sister, Bright Eyes.  Early on in the movie, Alan (Robin Williams) and Sarah (Bonnie Hunter) were playing the game of Jumanji.  Alan was pulled into the game, disappearing for 26 years. 

At this very point, Sunshine started weeping uncontrollably.  She said that Alan would never see his mommy and daddy again, and they would miss him.  They would look and look for him, but never find him.  Then Alan would be somewhere without them, and all alone.  Then they would die….  She followed the train of events without seeing the movie. 

 When my daughter calmed her down, the movie started resolving all those issues.

Bright Eyes told Sunshine, “Hey, this is just a movie.  Get over it.”

Yesterday, my daughter served brussel sprouts in lemon and butter sauce.  Sunshine’s response?  “I’ve never tasted poop before, but it might taste like that.”

No edit button in her head, is there?

24 comments:

  1. omgosh, i can't tell you how much i love your grand-child's name!!! and wow, i was hoping she would love those brussel sprouts, one of my favs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my daughter said the sprouts were past their prime, into the danger zone of trash time. She also loves sprouts, but said that she also gagged. Sunshine is spot-on, as usual.

      Delete
  2. LOL nope no edit button at all, so fun. She didn't even have to watch the movie to get it, saves lots of time I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When all was resolved in Jumanji, Sunshine said, "I'm crying because I'm happy!"

      Delete
  3. LOL_ That's a great line!
    Thank you for sharing.
    ~Summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunshine is, as I said, a brilliant observer and commentator.

      Delete
  4. :-) That made me laugh.

    But me? I love brussel sprouts. :-)

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, too. But after my daughter explained the situation, I felt kinda gaggy as well.

      Delete
  5. That's exactly how I feel about those stinky little cabbages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But, if you cover them with cheese sauce, they will be just fine. Cheese sauce covers a lot of sin.

      Delete
  6. They do speak the truth, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing escapes their sharp eyes and inquisitive minds.

      Delete
  7. We must love the brussels in my house; the cook loves them.

    My mother said: Eat what you get and don't have a fit.
    Or: Beats going hungry.
    And: Fine, save them for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mother was wise. I don't know how far that would have gone with Sunshine.

      Delete
  8. Out of the mouths of babes...love their honesty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those b.sprouts definite came out her mouth, in one big green glop.

      Delete
  9. Sunshine certainly got it right on the brussel sprouts. I don't care if you smothered them in cheese or chocolate, it still tastes like poop.

    Old people and children say what they think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if I am old enough yet? Soon, perhaps.

      Delete
  10. Sunshine is on the money there. My mother told me that I couldn't be a vegetarian because I don't like brussel sprouts - but she was WRONG. WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. And I didn't even use Sunshine's honest approach. Baby garbage was as close as I got.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fine with B sprouts, but really hate okra. I wonder what Sunshine would say about okra?

      Delete
  11. Hi Susan,

    Ah the honesty of a child. Sunshine has said what I've always thought about Brussels sprouts. And we wont mention the flatulence they cause.

    Have a peaceful weekend, my friend.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunshine has the flatulence freedom only someone six years old and with a sweet baby face, can manage. Her sister can belch like a professional, and at only 8 years old. From her daddy's side of the family, it is a talent.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Oh, Sunshine is an amazing brilliant child, as are all gr-kids.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!