Monday, February 4, 2013

Black Is the Color of My Truth Love's Hair


Joan Baez has had an amazing career.  Her voice—that incredible soprano voice—rang out as a voice of our generation.  There are too many roads to take down this topic, the wide genre of her songs.  Instead, the one song that rings clearest in my memory is “Black is the color…”


A question niggles in my brain:  What is it about the color black that pervades the design world?

Why are TV remotes black? Is it possible that Sony or RCA want us to lose the remotes in the dark recesses of sofa cushions knowing that the black remotes will remain hidden?
 

Why are many purse linings black, or nearly black?  Is it possible that, by making the linings dark, little items (nail clippers, lipstick, lip-gloss) will disappear, thus requiring further purchases?
 

Why do fancy dress events involve black/dark suits and dresses?  The ‘little black dress’: Why is it the important dress in the closet?  


For that matter, why do members of the Clergy wear black cassocks, black suits, black nun habits, etc.?  Why?  

In the beginning two questions, the color black perhaps denotes dignity and stylishness.  In the last question, maybe the color black indicates a desire to shed worldly attachments. Just guessing here...


Teenagers seem to go through an ‘all-black-Goth’ stage.  Black hair, black clothing, coal-black eye make-up—this is supposed to shout out to the world that they are individuals making a statement.  

Oddly, when they are all together, they appear to be wearing uniforms.

Spies, burglars, movie villains, and Harry Potter characters all are dressed in black.  The Adams family—stylish black clothing.  Matrix—really cool black clothing. 

Enough of this rant.

Anyway, enjoy this song.


27 comments:

  1. Mourning clothes are black.....showing grief for the dead. Years ago in some countries, a widow would wear black for the rest of her life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember reading/seeing on film that widows in Greece wear black for the remainder of their lives. In the movie 'Chocolat', the French widows wore black forever. Black here indicates sorrow; good point.

      Delete
  2. Hmm good point, I guess black just goes with everything. Or maybe they just want people not to be able to find the remote in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe this might be a conspiracy.

      Delete
  3. The song is beautiful. I love her works.

    Black hides faults, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yeah--always loved her music----great questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan Baez was one of the voices of our generation, along with Bob Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel.

      Delete
  5. I wish electronics weren't black...man does it show the dust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. When the TV is off, the screen is streaked with dust, and it keeps on reappearing. Another good reason to watch TV all day?

      Delete
  6. Black is the absence of color. Perhaps by extension the absence of joy. True love's lover was having no problem imaging not loving him if he left or died. Fickle, fickle, fickle. Or is it fie, fie, fie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fie and Fickle, indeed. Black as the absence of joy...that is a serious thought.

      Delete
  7. What a clear, ringing voice.

    Oh, and what Joanne said.

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never gave thought to a conspiracy theory about the color black. Maybe it has to do with aliens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aliens?...hmmmm. You may have something there.

      Delete
  9. I never thought about so many things being black. Maybe the purse linings are black so they show less of the inevitable grime? Remote controls should be bright orange, and maybe glow in the dark! I've always assumed the formal wear was black to help hide weight, though it definitely shows who has pets. I went through the Goth phase as a teenager myself. All I can say is it seemed like a really good idea at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember some fashions as being good ideas at the time: huge shoulder pads, ratted hair, platform heels. I never wore parachute pants though; MC Hammer never captured me. I did hold a pair in Kmart and think about them, though.

      Delete
  10. My daughter and I love Joan Baez, one of the greats of our generation.

    As for black. Hmmm, I've always thought it makes one appear thinner. And the comments about dust on black...I'm with that. Give me white!

    Thanks for stopping by with your info on a decent reburial for King Richard. My oldest daughter explained to me how Shakespeare make him more evil than he really was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought a black car would be easier to keep clean than a white car. An owner said it was the opposite. Black cars show everything.

      Delete
  11. Good points, and I have no idea. Black is supposed to be the absence of color, so I could see that for clothing for religious purposes. They say black is neutral and flattering, but not everyone looks good in black, no matter what they say. I guess it's just a color pretty much everyone owns something of, so it's easier?

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The universal 'go with everything' color, black. Probably. It is the issue with the remotes that really bother me.

      Delete
  12. It's difficult not to look elegant in black!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually true. Maybe wearing black makes one feel elegant? Throw on some pearls and lipstick, ready to go?

      Delete
  13. Black
    Crisp lines
    And a cool look
    Ad what the f"&k do I know about fashion?
    X

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, gosh--now that you mention it. I went through my black phase in junior high around 1964-1965. Don't know why but I'd typically wear black pants, a black sweatshirt, and a black dickey. Remember dickeys? What was up with those besides the neckline?

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote
    An A to Z Co-host blog
    Twitter: @AprilA2Z

    ReplyDelete
  15. Joan Baez...hmmm! Takes you back.

    As for black---so dreary, so mournful, so "goes with everything." Remember how people, in Ireland at least, would wear a black armband for ?? how long after someone in their family died? I don't mind remotes being black. I just wish there was only one and it had one button for "on" and another button for "off". Period. Wishful thinking.....

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!