Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Waiting for Christmas



Waiting for Christmas is and has always been the most intense, insane experience of anticipation of all the year.  

Standing in front of the tree and being mesmerized by the lights is the disco ball of the season.  Shaking the presents and guessing their contents will always be part of the game.  The small train around the base wears itself out by the Big Day, only too happy to be packed away for next year’s new batteries and another chance to whistle.

That was last year, when I turned 60 years old.  My granddaughters have informed me that I have to move away from the tree.  It is their time to do the dancing.

That leaves me with the other delights: baking obscenely rich pastries, putting together the Christmas pudding (a little late, I know), and moving furniture around to accommodate an almost crawling grandson Benjamin(:() 

Benjamin exploring cooked carrot, ignoring the broccoli

Waiting for Christmas has become more than all the above for the adult me.  Sometime between the first songs playing in Target Stores to the filling of the stockings on Christmas Eve, a miraculous event bursts inside me. 
It started as a spark of joy, and then fills me all up.  Christmas is here!  Christ came into the world as a human, to experience the human pain and suffering.  Christ was crucified, resurrected, and ascended into heaven.   Christ dwells within me daily, reminding me that I am part of His family. 


I am waiting for Christmas, slightly removed from the tree’s perimeter to allow two little girls in pajamas to enter into the thrall of the tree. 

The spark is there and starting to burst into the “Hallelujah Chorus”! 

Do you get that spark?  Are the memories of Christmas both looking back and being in the present?  Are you still dancing?  Do you have to push the kids and grandkids out of the way?

11 comments:

  1. It's not quite the same as it was but it's still good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing can ever capture that thrill of being young, discovering Christmas over and over. Now we get to witness our gr-kids dance.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Inger! Christmas in the desert is an amazing time. I always loved the frost on the sage brush.

      Delete
  3. Not as it once was for me, but still causes glee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have to grow older. Even you, Pat, will someday be gray, but not for at least 100 years.

      Delete
  4. All the children still make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Me, too! I love to watch their expressions when the Christmas tree is lighted!

      Delete
  5. I am still dancing, maybe not a jig, but still tapping my toes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I will tap my toes and try to keep the beat.

      Delete
  6. Pinching, poking and rattling presents was something I brought to an art form. In my heyday I could not only tell you it was soap, I could tell you what brand. A padded coathanger (odd present I thought and think) defeated me though.
    I am late to the Christmas spirit this year. All you other bloggers have (almost) shamed me into it. Perhaps some decoration would help. On the weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!